Redbooster clutch servo

Summer is approaching fast and I am getting together all the bits I need to sort out on my defender for the season, I have a list of things to do including sorting out my rear storage project hinges to replace, bits to fix and generally service, and adding some further security improvements oh and the trailer needs a bit of work.

If this list was not enough Mrs S would like me to make it a bit more 'drivable' her biggest complaint (well about driving the 110) is that the clutch is to heavy!! looking around I know you can fiddle with the springs but I don't think that will give her what she needs.....

I remember seeing the Redbooster product before, and have just had a look, OK so they are not cheap at £450, but peace is not always cheap!!

My questions are:

Has anyone fitted one/got any feedback?

Has anyone fitted a different solution that has the same sort of effect?

Jason.

There was a thread about this recently. I had looked at these kits (for the same reason as you) but decided it was too much money (£180 - £200 and i'd have been tempted). A few guys did talk about remote servos from Minis, so that might be worth looking into more i think.

You would end up with the wrong amount of cylinder travel surely :unsure:

I too looked at the Redbooster and was put off by the price, (even though my truck has no clutch pedal :lol:). Not sure of the spec of the servo, might be the same as the ones available on ebay, but the clever and probably expensive bit to make in low volume, is the rocker linkage that goes between the servo and pedal.

If you are feeling brave the pictures are clear enough to make your own linkages ;)

I did look at the Mini brake ones but think that there would be a lot of fabrication involved to get it working, the thing I liked about redbooster is that you could return it to standard if it went wrong when out on your travels, and it still uses the original master cylinder so spares would be easier, only thing I don't like is the price, but I guess for a low volume product that's what you pay I have ABS/AC/TC so have also mailed them to make sure it will fit as have been caught out by this sort of thing before.

Jason.

The remote servos (as fitted to Minis etc.) don't really require any fabrication. They just bolt in somewhere and then you run the pipework to and from it.

I thought about perhaps using a small brake pedal box and servo (sort of like the Series III ones), but I guess it would mean messing about to get a master cylinder to fit it and with yours being a Td5 I assume there would be issues with clutch switches and fitting the thing into the more crowded engine bay.

with yours being a Td5 I assume there would be issues with clutch switches and fitting the thing into the more crowded engine bay.

Clutch switches. You mean that they've now found a way to complicate the simple master cylinder, clutch pipe, slave cylinder system. Please tell.

Clutch switches. You mean that they've now found a way to complicate the simple master cylinder, clutch pipe, slave cylinder system. Please tell.

The wire is a clutch pressure switch which I believe tells you that your clutch has failed when your foot goes to the floor and your shoe gets covered in fluid!!

Jason.

Yes. It's just a hydraulically activated switch that is T'd into the pipe where it comes out of the master cylinder. There are no modifications to the rest of the system, still nice and simple :)

Useful for cruise control as well, since that usually deactivates when the clutch or brake is pressed.

I ran the clutch on my hybrid through an MGB remote brake servo. Dead easy to plumb in, and could be returned to standard in about 10 minutes in the event of servo failure.

Worked realy well.

So if I got myself one of THESE would I make a pipe from the cylinder output and tap it into the unit and then put a pipe down to the slave cylinder? is it as simple as that, I note that it would also need vacuum feed from the existing EGR T that is currently blanked?

Jason.

So if I got myself one of THESE would I make a pipe from the cylinder output and tap it into the unit and then put a pipe down to the slave cylinder? is it as simple as that, I note that it would also need vacuum feed from the existing EGR T that is currently blanked?

Jason.

That should do it, they come in different ratios, the MGB one was perfect for me. The mini one may be different, either more or less assistance than I had.

Once the servo is mounted you need to "T" into the brake servo line for the vacumn. You need to make some new lines in 3/16 brake pipe. From the clutch m/cyl, run a new pipe to the servo input port, then a new line from the servo output port to the original clutch pipe that used to come out of the m/cyl and goes to the slave cyl.

You wil need a 1/4 to 3/16 pipe adapter as found on series clutch m/cyls, (can't remember if later ones have them) and you'll need to put a countersink on the plain end to accept a brake pipe flare.

You'll need to bend the original pipework slightly and fab a pipe support bracket, but all easy stuff. Then just bleed.

I may have some photos of my install, if i can find them, I'll scan them and stick them up.

Well it looks like I will be giving it a go and once I have figured out what bits I need and if it will fit will post it up. The MG one appears to be the same as the Mini one, I have mailed the seller asking for dimensions. as long as I don't need to reinvent the engine bay it should be OK I don't mind making a couple of brackets but am not going to fabricate a new pedal box....

Will report back in a couple of weeks.

Jason.

I might have a look at the Series brake servo option. Something like this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/180818509285

Issues I can see are physically fitting it into the engine bay and whether the master cylinder has the same bolt pattern and fitment as the clutch master does. I guess master cylinders are available in many shapes/sizes so if it didn't work then as long as you get one with the same bore etc. then any cylinder that will bolt up would do the job.

The remote servo as above will work I am sure, but it's not a very 'tidy' solution. Look forward to hearing how you get on though Jason. I'm gonna pop into my local breakers and pick up a Series pedal box/servo and see what I can do with it.

OK so a quick update on this, I looked at the mini route but was struggling to find somewhere to stick it!! :moglite: As my 110 is a XS spec (G4 LE) there are lots of bits under the bonnet the only place I can see is where my new Eberspacher is going, I thought it had come to an end...... Until ....... I got an email from the manufacture they are going to start shipping them through Allmakes and as they are going to ship a bulk load to the UK, he can offer one for £300 delivered. I know it's a sales ploy :blush: but it's £150 off and getting into my price range, so I thought sod it and have ordered one....

Fitting photos to follow in a few weeks.

Jason.

Will do James,

Sounds daft but space was my biggest issue!! with the ABS unit etc, that corner of the engine bay is pretty full, the other corner will be full with the heater and the front is a bit far, hence me having to pay up for this although it will make Mrs S happy for now!!

Jason.

• 1 month later...

The unit has arrived so I need to fit it over the coming weeks, once I get some time!!! and finish my other projects that are on the go at the moment.

First impression is that it looks good, and well made and the instructions are fairly clear.

As a matter of course I am going to change the clutch master and slave whilst the system is empty, as they are not that expensive and will save issues later, but what do I change them for? Clearly not going to use Britpart but what is recommended?

Jason.

• 2 months later...

Just a quick update on this,

Running out of time I ended up getting the garage to fit the kit, it took them 6 hours mainly due to the space limitations due to all the bits under the bonnet and a couple of leaky banjo washers.

To be honest it's a bit strange, does it do the job yes, I can push the pedal down with one finger but it just feels weird, it feels like the clutch has failed when I stamp on the pedal and it goes to the floor it is a little disconcerting!!

I am sure I will get used to it but not sure I have had a car with such a light clutch before, reversing was interesting as there was a lot more control and feel, the acid test is Mrs S so I will see what she thinks over the weekend.

Jason.

wp000155c.jpg

By jasong4110 at 2012-06-28

wp000156.jpg

wp000157n.jpg

wp000158u.jpg