Sluggish TD5

2000 TD5 Defender, ran perfectly previously but:

Started yesterday, in 4th and 5th (though most noticable in 5th between 60 & 70 mph) gear there seems to be a slight misfire which seemed initially like fuel starvation.

Took her for a good run out to the Peak District today and she seems quite sluggish going uphill and on the motorway, at times struggling to hit 70 when in the past cruising at 70 was fine.

Ive had a good look through the forums but it appears it could be all manner of things from injector harness to ECU..

Any ideas where I should start? Am I best getting the fault codes read first or using a process of elimination to discover the issue?

RE: Fault Codes - are there any cheaper alternatives to Nanocom or Rovercom?

Thanks in advance

Jamie

2000 TD5 Defender, ran perfectly previously but:

Started yesterday, in 4th and 5th (though most noticable in 5th between 60 & 70 mph) gear there seems to be a slight misfire which seemed initially like fuel starvation.

Took her for a good run out to the Peak District today and she seems quite sluggish going uphill and on the motorway, at times struggling to hit 70 when in the past cruising at 70 was fine.

Ive had a good look through the forums but it appears it could be all manner of things from injector harness to ECU..

Any ideas where I should start? Am I best getting the fault codes read first or using a process of elimination to discover the issue?

RE: Fault Codes - are there any cheaper alternatives to Nanocom or Rovercom?

Thanks in advance

Jamie

Most likely an injector or the harness

http://www.landyzone.co.uk/lz/f8/td5-injec...lems-23373.html

From the misfire I would guess the injector harness, it would be where I would start anyway.

just so you are aware - Chris, GBMUD, had similar problems when his fuel pump started to go. Has your fuel pump been lowder than normal recently?

Thanks

Steve

Reply to All,

This is why I asked the question of whether it would be preferential to run Nanocom or similar on it first... It could be any or all of the above reasons!!!!

Potentials list to date:

* Injector Harness

* Injectors

* Turbo Activator

* Fuel Pump

Hmmm......

No offence but i think everyone is answering, its just not the direct answer that you are looking for.

Firstly ... Lift the bonnet ... get in .. check for signs of the above.

If after a few hours it leads to nothing then run Nanocom.

Or run Nanocom .. see if it shows anything ..

It wont tell ya if your fuel pump has been starting to get noisey recently though.

Neither will it pull ya a can of WD40 for the Turbo activator.

Probably wont even differentiate between an injector fault or a harness fault... Need eyeballs and maybe a meter for that ;)

No offence but i think everyone is answering, its just not the direct answer that you are looking for.

Firstly ... Lift the bonnet ... get in .. check for signs of the above.

If after a few hours it leads to nothing then run Nanocom.

Or run Nanocom .. see if it shows anything ..

It wont tell ya if your fuel pump has been starting to get noisey recently though.

Neither will it pull ya a can of WD40 for the Turbo activator.

Probably wont even differentiate between an injector fault or a harness fault... Need eyeballs and maybe a meter for that ;)

No offence taken Jimmy, its just that I read something similar on another thread and every man and his dog had an answer for what it could have been! If id have gone down that route, I would probably have rebuilt the engine by now!!! :)

I will start with the suggestions made (thankyou to you all for your advice) and see where it gets me prior to checking out fault codes with nanocom etc..

Cheers

Jamie

Some of the faults (fuel pump and injector harness) will not show up as fault codes on any diagnostic computer 80% of the time, so you won't necessarily be any the wiser and it doesn't pay to rule out those things "just because the computer says it is ok".

I have long since lost count of the number of Td5s I have seen in the workshop where the engine is running like a bucket of sh** and the computer says there is nothing wrong with it!

Some of the faults (fuel pump and injector harness) will not show up as fault codes on any diagnostic computer 80% of the time, so you won't necessarily be any the wiser and it doesn't pay to rule out those things "just because the computer says it is ok".

I have long since lost count of the number of Td5s I have seen in the workshop where the engine is running like a bucket of sh** and the computer says there is nothing wrong with it!

"Computer says Noooooo"!!!

No worries, I guess I should check other issues first and follow the elimination process...

Thanks for this :)

is it at high revs in all gears or just 4th and 5th at 60-70?

Used it again today and it was just doing it in 5th.... Somewhere [roughly] between 60 and 70 (never the same speed though)....

It is still intermittent though, sometimes it doesnt do it, sometimes it does, sometimes it will allow me to put my foot down and get up to 80, other times it struggles getting past 65-70...

Any ideas??

My money is on the turbo activator.

Just find it, give it a squirt of WD40 and waggle it about a bit.

Lubricate monthly in the future.

Hey presto!

MINESAPINT

Well it looks like good news! Just had a play with the turbo activator and cleaned up the movement, took it for a spin and problem seems to have gone <fingers crossed!>

Many thanks to Minesapint, and if we meet up some time, yours is certainly a pint!

Thanks for all the feedback, big up to the LR4x4 massif! :)

Just goes to show that people can suggest causes and potentially diagnose problems but in the end it's initially down to a hands on investigation, observation and elimination. Glad you got it sorted :)

I agree, though the info from minesapint was invaluable, having experienced it himself before he knew the symtoms (Sp?)...

I knew it could have been half a dozen things having performed a search and read loads of other forum posts before posting myself...

Is the Turbo Activator the rod that is on top of the turbo?

Is it supposed to be 'fixed' without the engine running or should you be able to manipulate it in and out?

Did a search in the LR Workshop manwel and could not find the named item...

I quote minesapint: "With ref to where it is located. It is on the top of the engine a bit hidden on the nearside of the vehicle. Look for a small zinc plated cylinder about 2 inches diameter and 2 inches long with a 3/4mm shaft protruding from it.

When the engine reaches the appropriate engine revs the shaft should move to engage the turbo. I believe your problem is that this shaft is seized. You will need to lubricate it and work it in and out. This is possible using a screwdriver and part of the engine as a lever."

It sits right on top of top of the turbo, with a rod that protrudes from inside it and goes under the heat shield to a mechanism. Spray WD40 all over the rod and where it locates into activator, then apply pressure to the nut half way down the rod (it meets a plastic tensioner on my mine) in the direction of the bulkhead, it should move with a bit of force...

Hope this helps.

Is the Turbo Activator the rod that is on top of the turbo?

Is it supposed to be 'fixed' without the engine running or should you be able to manipulate it in and out?

Did a search in the LR Workshop manwel and could not find the named item...

Heres a pic indicating the turbo activator. the rod can be seen coming out of the back :)

post-4620-1203524687_thumb.jpg

You need quite a lot of force to move it initially obviously depending whether it is seized. I note lubricating this part is not in the service schedule.

MINESAPINT

The activator rod appears to be alloy also, which is probably why it sticks, I imagine that surface oxidisation and dirt clunks things up, strange that its not a service item given this design!