clutches

white90

I fitted an AP Borg/Beck

now less than 6months it is slipping badly

time to change it

are Valeo any good?

I thought BB were but obviously not

Fit a paddle clutch, its then fit and forget, esp if you have a steel release cage vs plastic.

Had mine for years, takes huge abuse, the hotter it gets the harder it grips :moglite: so to speak

Nige

I fitted an AP Borg/Beck

now less than 6months it is slipping badly

Watching this thread with interest as I went through a Borg/Beck in the about the same time frame :(

I just chucked in a new B&B friction plate for the moment as all the other parts of the clutch where fine...

Ok

Paddle clutch........

I used to try all sorts of clutches, I either destroyed the plate, or often it all got soooo hot it melted the carrier :

post-22-1203962857_thumb.jpg

The answer was :

Machined out of a solid lump of steel a solid carrier to take the release bearing - Rakeway I think now do a ali version of this for £s rather than me + Hours + lathe :(

http://www.rakeway.co.uk/flywheels,%20clutch.htm 2nd down "Carrier"

This then gets rid of the silly plastic carrier. The cover I use a B&B one.

the 'Paddle clutch" I can't seem to find a piccie of.

I had mine made - around £140 for the plate only - you supply then a plate in exchange

The clutch plate comes back without the normal friction cricle on the outside, .....

it now looks like someone has placed 6 brake pads around the outside edge,.... both sides.

This is a paddle clutch.

post-22-1203963289_thumb.jpg (from Demon Web Site for a idea what it looks like)

Pros

Grips like a demented thing - you will not get it to slip

Hotter it gets - harder it grips.

No more burnt clutch smell :)

Bought mine prob now 10 years ago, when I took the hybrid apart it was "slightly" worn - the abuse it had had !...

popped it in the 90 now, .......that was 5 years ago.....

Cons

Costs

When it gets really hot then slipping the clutch as in say traffic takes pratise, it doesn't like it !

Eats flywheels surfaces if you get reaally silly as it will grip rather than slip

Mine was made by ORCA in bordon nr hampshire I can get you a number if you wnat they do postal service

With a steel carrier, B&B HD Cover and a Ceramuic Paddle clutch.............. fit and forget :)

Nige

Ceramic clutch sounds Ideal , But as Nige says They eat Flywheels and pressure plates , But do last a lot longer than organic plates .

I have never seen an "Off the shelf" item for the Land Rover ,

i have just replaced mine with an LUK unit . Seem like a very good quality clutch .

Guest diesel_jim
The Microcat You gave me still shows FTC1994 too :P

/off topic/

I'm using the same version as you Ralph...

however... when you do the search, and you've got the picture of the item on the screen and the bar across the bottom that shows the description, call out number and (on the right) part number, sometimes the part number is in italics, if so, right click it and select "ISO search", which will then search for any superceded part numbers.

"why doesn't it show the latest part number in the first place?" i hear you ask... dunno. possibly becaue when i searched for the clutch plate yesterday. i never put in a VIN or registration plate, so it (microcat) couldn't be age/VIN specific. possibly if i'd have put in a later Td5 VIN number it would have poppped up with the later UQB number.

/back on topic/

In the past few months I've seen on this forum that most people were recommending Borg & Beck as the way to go for.

Now it doesn't seem to be such a good choice (although there were older reports of B&Bs slipping).

As about Valeo, there are plenty reports and pictures on this forums about Valeos that disintegrated or, to cover all stories, that needed to be replaced before wearing out.

How about another brand then?

I'm using SACHS - now part of http://www.zf-trading.at. The UK branch is here: http://www.zf-trading.co.uk - you can find there a catalog, where to buy from (Partner Web)

If you didn't hear about SACHS before, they are OEM for Audi and Porsche, just to name a few.

One can do a search for SACHS clutches and see if he can find bad reports about them, no matter the vehicle they were fitted to.

Edit, forgot to say: Sachs clutch kits come even with the grease for the bearing!

I don't know much about LUK. All I can say is that they are the cheapest option in Europe (followed by B&B, Valeo and then comes SACHS) - speaking about LR clutches.

On the other hand, I wouldn't use the so called "heavy duty" clutch on anything but 130's. I would stick for what LR recommended for that particular type of engine-vehicle combination.

As for the ceramic clutches, I haven't seen one mounted on a diesel before so I don't have any experience on this. I mean a diesel used on normal roads or off road (not exclusively off road). I donno if it will be too much fun to drive it ...

On the other hand, I wouldn't use the so called "heavy duty" clutch on anything but 130's. I would stick for what LR recommended for that particular type of engine-vehicle combination.

out of interest why not? people upgrade there drive train eg axle etc.. so why not the clutch

In the past few months I've seen on this forum that most people were recommending Borg & Beck as the way to go for.

Now it doesn't seem to be such a good choice (although there were older reports of B&Bs slipping).

As about Valeo, there are plenty reports and pictures on this forums about Valeos that disintegrated or, to cover all stories, that needed to be replaced before wearing out.

How about another brand then?

I'm using SACHS - now part of http://www.zf-trading.at. The UK branch is here: http://www.zf-trading.co.uk - you can find there a catalog, where to buy from (Partner Web)

If you didn't hear about SACHS before, they are OEM for Audi and Porsche, just to name a few.

One can do a search for SACHS clutches and see if he can find bad reports about them, no matter the vehicle they were fitted to.

Edit, forgot to say: Sachs clutch kits come even with the grease for the bearing!

I don't know much about LUK. All I can say is that they are the cheapest option in Europe (followed by B&B, Valeo and then comes SACHS) - speaking about LR clutches.

As for the ceramic clutches, I haven't seen one mounted on a diesel before so I don't have any experience on this. I mean a diesel used on normal roads or off road (not exclusively off road). I donno if it will be too much fun to drive it ...

Well the 130 version fitted to my 90 has no lasted 6months and approx 1000miles

so upgrading is the only way to go

Just out of interest, what are people doing to their clutches to have them fail after such a short time, or to get so hot as to melt the release bearing?

Not being sarky or having a dig, just genuinely concerned!

I ask as I changed the clutch in my 200tdi 110 back in about October/November 07 as it wasn't clearing properly (turned out to be a cracked spigot bush dragging on the gearbox mainshaft, not the clutch.)

The clutch I took out was barely worn - plenty of meat material left on the friction plate and next to no slop in the springs on the pressure plate. The release arm itself (a bog standard OEM unit) also had no wear and no sign of punching through. The clutch had been in there since the 200 tdi went in about 4 years and 50,000 miles ago. This is on a vehicle that weighs in at 2.7 tonnes and is used regularly for heavy towing, marshalling and general running about. It's also my daily driver and averages about 12,000 miles a year.

Thoughts gents, please!

Matt