Whitbread offroad

jcwcooper

Im looking into buying a cage for my 90, Has anyone used Whitbread offroad before?

What are their cages like?

It seems they supply the army rally team with roll cages for their landrovers.

Thanks

Dave.

I have one, Very pleased with it and its stood up to some heavy rolls.

I do know someone who has had one since mine and the windscreen hoop is different and does not fit as snugly!

hi, i am currently biulding a 80 coiler with a whitbread cage, the front hoop is 1/2'' too narrow (which in alrc spec becomes a problem!!) the wing bars werent a pair, the pasenger one was 2'' wider at the bottom and i had to use a high lift to bring it straight , i guess he'd bent it in the wrong place, he told me he'd put it all on the jig but he cant have done!! having said all that it was a cheap cage and all the roof bars and rear stays came with the ends already shaped, unlike other makes..ie qt.

cheers

hamish

I have a Whitbread cage on my 90 and its ok - they use "cheap" tube altho it does conform to spec as required.

North Offroad made all the cagework for my D-Lander, the tube is a much higher spec and its superb, if i was to get a cheap cage then Whitbread are ok, if i wanted the best nicest cage the NOR get my money every time :)

That was my only concern was how snugly it will fit, did either of you buy yours as a kit?

Dave

Mine fits very snugly, In fact much more so than pretty much any other cage Ive seen. I bought it as a kit and fitted myself.

The one Ive seen since (I mentioned in earlier post) didn't fit as nicely round the screen but still just as well as most other cages Ive seen.

I wouldn't worry about tube, I Ive had many heavy rolls including going end over end and its not got a mark on it, More than can be said for some others Ive seen.

I know Malcolm AKA Mr Whitbread pretty well.

He will make you whatever you want, and will also make it as snug as you want. If you want any pictures of mine reply here and i'll put some up. I wanted mine as close to my canvas truck cab, and he did just that.

He has made 5 cages for friends of mine, with orders for another 3 on the way, all are very pleased.

With regards to the tube spec it has been covered here in alot of detail. The blueband tube that is used on Whitbread cages does meet the spec.

Its probably easier of you call him and explain what you want. He a great chap, who will alwaus spend time talkinh through different options with people so you get what you want.

Rich.

I know Malcolm AKA Mr Whitbread pretty well.

He will make you whatever you want, and will also make it as snug as you want. If you want any pictures of mine reply here and i'll put some up. I wanted mine as close to my canvas truck cab, and he did just that.

He has made 5 cages for friends of mine, with orders for another 3 on the way, all are very pleased.

With regards to the tube spec it has been covered here in alot of detail. The blueband tube that is used on Whitbread cages does meet the spec.

Its probably easier of you call him and explain what you want. He a great chap, who will alwaus spend time talkinh through different options with people so you get what you want.

Rich.

Pictures would be good if you dont mind posting them up

thanks

Pictures would be good if you dont mind posting them up

thanks

Hi Dave.

Sorry finished work a bit late yesterday...... Below are some pictures. Basically this is a custom build cage made specifically to fit a canvas truck cab. A standard one doesnt fit, as the roof line is completely different. The rear hoop and stays are standard, the front hoop is is slighly shorter to pull it into the windscreen a tad, to make the cage tighter, at my request.

Its welded to the chassis using spreader plates at the rear stays and the rear hoop. The front is bolted to the outrigger using a 6mm spreader plate, shown here:

http://www.whitbread-offroad.co.uk/photo.php?number=4

The front hoop slots over the tube shown in the picture, there is then a bolt that goes striaght through through from the outside of the wing through the two tubes and into the pedalbox/footwell.

Some pics below, I hope this works!

th_DSC00576.jpg

th_DSC00577.jpg

th_DSC00578.jpg

th_DSC00579.jpg

Regards,

Rich.

As a member of the Armed Forces Rally Team, I've worked with Malcolm on a number of occassions - all I can say is that his work and attention to detail is superb.

We've had a number of heavy high speed rolls and his cages have stood the test of time - plus if they are good enough for the WRC Scrutineers at Wales Rally GB, they should be good enough for most people!!

Regards,

Ross

Looks good. was that a flatpack one or was it built on the vehicle?

It was built onto the vehicle. Mainly because Malcolm hadnt got a jig for a soft top 90, (the standard cages are all built on jigs - land rovers), and partly because in the end it wasnt worth the difference in money between a flat pack and a fully built, fitted and painted cage.

e.g supply flat pack truck cab £400 + £55 delivery - £455

supply fit and paint £725.

Basically for £270 you turn up, the cage is built and ready painted, holes are cut, cage fitted, your away in about 4 hours. For £270 I didnt think that was bad!

McS Junior, i sugest you and the rest of the armed forces rally team check the MSA regulations because ONLY CDS is aproved for rally events. Whitbread cages are fine for what they are ment for, they advertise that they use MSA aproved tube, this is correct BUT it is only approved for Cross Country Events up to National level. :blink:

• 2 weeks later...
McS Junior, i sugest you and the rest of the armed forces rally team check the MSA regulations because ONLY CDS is aproved for rally events. Whitbread cages are fine for what they are ment for, they advertise that they use MSA aproved tube, this is correct BUT it is only approved for Cross Country Events up to National level. :blink:

Rohtron,

firstly i'm speaking from a position of a few years experience on the AFRT. i'm not sure where you a getting your Data from or how well you now the manufacturer of the cages for the AFRT vehicles but i would suggest that you scurry off and do some more research before making a quote like you have.

For Everyone else with regards to the manufacturer, from the experience we've seen on the AFRT especially since we converted to WOLF XD vehicles, the cages have been fantastic, aftercare equally as good and timeframes for building up there also. I am not a member of the cage manufacters company nor am i a family member. All i am is a member of the AFRT who has seen how good the product is.

Regards all,

RE bend at the knee 2 3

i would suggest that you scurry off and do some more research before making a quote like you have.
I assume this is you Wayne?!

I completely agree with what you have said and would love to know with what authority 'rohtron' speaks and exactly how he knows what material the AFRT cages are made from.

For what its worth, I (speaking personally, not on behalf of the AFRT) would fully endorse Whitbread cages and thats why I have one on my own personal 90.

Regards,

Ross

• 2 months later...

as Rally GB is aInternational FIA regulated/sanctioned event, UK MSA regs don't get a look in, FIA overrule the home country regs as international entrants won't comply with UK MSA regs, FIA regs take precedence

Ross, it is comon knowledge that whitbread cages are made from blue band (its all they used to be able to bend). As for my authority I dont have any, it is writen in black and white in the MSA blue book (have you checked yet)

As i said in my first post there is nothing wrong with Whitbread cages for what they are ment for.