kenlow fan's

what are you thoughts on fans? i hear you can just remove the v/fan no need for it in this uk climate ,even in the summer? what if i did get a leak suley it would boil. It's said ,save's power the truck warms quicker but what are the down falls to electric ,like fails to work wadding have got one are they worth it? views please

I have a Kenlowe fan on mine, very good performance airflow wise, cools the engine down very well.

Only issue is the supplied thermostat, as in it's rubbish. It works, but doesn't like getting wet. I'll be replacing mine with a X-Eng thermostatic switch as Mr Freezer pointed out above. The Kenlowe I have has two inputs (to allow for two speeds), so that ties in nicely with X-Eng's offering, which can switch two fans.

The truck will warm quicker yes, as it removes un-necessary cooling.

I removed my viscous unit last August and have only ever had the fan come on when greenlaning (slow ground speed, increased revs) due to lack of air-flow through the radiator. Even then the fan came on at it's low speed for five mins then turned off again. The 200Tdi engine at least seems to be very good in terms of running temperature.

As for fuel economy, I never had the truck with the viscous unit, but it does make sense that you will gain some MPG. I wouldn't think it's a noticable amount though.

For wading, I turn the electric fan off by use of an override switch.

mmmm

Don't like them think they are the biggest watse of money going.

I have had 20 odd land rovers and all of them have had Viscous and and never had a problem and never ever felt the need to change to a fan . But know plenty of people who have had no end of problems with electric fans . Just ask Jules about a trip to the Alps where the grioup took a blokes car to a dealership and got them to fit a viscous and throw away the electric fan as the thing was over heating all the time and holding up the whole group.

I have a 90 that has driven in -10 and plus 48degrees c with a trailer on and had no problems with the viscous. Car kept on contant tempeture

And after all if they were that good then Land Rover would put them on when they are made

As for MPG mkae no differance at all. Not that you would notice

was talking to Kenlowe once and they said that the main use of them was to keep the car cool in traffic. wel that is useless for a diesel as they cool down on tick over anyway so why do you need a fan to do that. Plus the viscous does a good job at that anyway

You might as well get a cylone thing for you air filter hose and put one of this magnet things on your fuel line as you obiosly like to waste your money on things that don't work . :rolleyes:

As others have added -

mondeo fan - X-eng fan switch plus override switch in cab which lets me run the fan automatically (via the X-eng switch), manually or isolate it completely (for wading).

Seems to work OK!

Dave.

Forgot to mention - electric fan fitted as viscous unit clouted lower rad hose and steering box following Tdi conversion

You might as well get a cylone thing for you air filter hose and put one of this magnet things on your fuel line as you obiosly like to waste your money on things that don't work . :rolleyes:

I hardly think an electric fan (as fitted OE to 95% of all cars these days) falls into the same category as snake oil. Funny enough I've seen more viscous fail than electrics - viscous clutch failing, unit getting damaged and eating through the radiator, blades coming off etc. :ph34r: although I do agree that Kenlowe are a waste of money when you can buy just as good or better quality from the scrapyard for 1/10th the price.

mmmm

Don't like them think they are the biggest watse of money going.

(.....)

I think that's a bit harsh. I would say the massive amount of space I now have in front of the engine is almost worth it on it's own.

I would agree that the Kenlowe fans are over-priced though. If I have known that a Mondeo fan does the same thing for much less at the time I would have gone for that, something to remember for next time.

Interesting this,

Had the grill off my RRC at the weekend and noticed two leccy fans on the outside of the oil cooler, assuming this is standard do people go to the trouble of fitting an over ride for these as well when wading?

Sorry for the hijack,

Mick.

Well we are in a cold snap at the moment and it is a cold Autum morning so i took the 90 to drop my son of at day care. Off i went at 6 am and 21 degree c outside , my 90 did not take long for the heaters to work (thank god) So i will always be sticking with the viscous

Ali

Well we are in a cold snap at the moment and it is a cold Autum morning so i took the 90 to drop my son of at day care. Off i went at 6 am and 21 degree c outside , my 90 did not take long for the heaters to work (thank god) So i will always be sticking with the viscous

Ali

It's 15'C today, I'm in a t-shirt, driving along with the windows down (not right now as I'm typing obviously)

Ali

:blink:

I Think you have become a bit accustomed to Oz ;) ...Can you post some?

I put mine in the top hose as I already had a joint in it. I think it brings the fan on too early and I think could do with a higher temp. thermostat. Ideally it should be in the bottom hose so that it's detecting the temp. of the water going back to cool the engine and so indicating that the airflow through the rad isn't dissipating enough heat on it's own and requires assistance.

HTH

Mo

I put mine in the top hose as I already had a joint in it. I think it brings the fan on too early and I think could do with a higher temp. thermostat. Ideally it should be in the bottom hose so that it's detecting the temp. of the water going back to cool the engine and so indicating that the airflow through the rad isn't dissipating enough heat on it's own and requires assistance.

HTH

Mo

Thanks Mo,

This is what I have done, but ALL last year it never came on, I have now fitted a digital gauge and sender, so lets see what the summer brings, 83 degrees is the highest its gone so far, no wonder it never came on.

IMG00017.jpg

I have my X-eng switch in the bottom hose -

worked really well as I could cut the original 90' hose turn it by about a quarter turn and then use the switch as a joiner! this meant it fitted the Disco 200Tdi lump perfectly without having to mess about with new hoses or chopping old ones about. ;)

post-9229-1237317845_thumb.jpg

Dave.

Perhaps my rad is really efficient :P Dave how have you wired the thermostat up.

have you gone, power in to thermostat switch and then out to fan

or

power in to thermostat switch out to relay back to fan?

I would love to know why mine has never worked, what temperature difference could I expect to get from the input to rad temp and the output temp?

I have been at the point for 4 months now where I dont have the thermostat wired up, the fan is now manual off a switch.

Wiring goes like this -

Ignition switched supply to Carling on-off-on switch - Two switched feeds then both run down to X-eng switch where one connects to the common terminal (brown wire), the other (blue wire) is joined in parallel with the feed to the fan (also blue wire for consistancy) at the low temp switch terminal. Fan returns to chassis ground at expansion tank where I have other grounds already on mounting bracket (other blue wire).

No relays - X-eng thermostatic switch is rated to switch 20A as is the Carling switch (I think!)

Hope that makes sense. ;)

post-9229-1237319484_thumb.jpg