fixing Starter motors

JST

i have an U/S SM in that the motor works fine but the control pack bit on top i think is US.

How do i check it?

it has the +Ve stud on the back, the +ve that goes to the motor when energised and the spade for the ign feed.

its currently removed from the SM body so i would need to earth the casing i take it. If i apply 12v to the ign feeb and the stud on the rear i am assuming it should do something?

i presume you buy them separately, but does anyone have a MPN or source?

James - it's a big relay. 12v onto the spade with the body earthed should make a big 'clunk' as the solenoid moves. It connects the two studs electrically, which makes the starter turn. Check that it goes clunk, and that there's good continuity across the studs, less than an ohm if the contacts are clean inside.

its currently removed from the SM body so i would need to earth the casing i take it. If i apply 12v to the ign feeb and the stud on the rear i am assuming it should do something?

To check the solenoid apply 12volts to to the rear stud and an earth from the body. When you then apply 12volts on the ignition feed the solenoid should click and be thrown out on the spindle.

You dont mention what type of engine its for but the solenoid part number for my V8 EFI rangie is RTC5049

If it is a Td5 starter then the contacts in the solenoid will be burned out, happens all the time, Nipponjunko starter motor.

I think there is a thread in the tech archive with a link to a supplier who provides them, or you can make some up with a vice, some copper earth strap, a file/hacksaw and a bit of patience :)

Cheers for the info guys. i can confirm that my relay is dead, so need a new one it seems

You dont mention what type of engine its for but the solenoid part number for my V8 EFI rangie is RTC5049

Its the same as for a tdi engine (actually a TGV) does anyone know if the one above works on the tdi starter?

James

If your starter motor is the original supplied with the TGV it is most likely to be a Prestolite version rather than the Bosch Genuine as supplied on 200/300tdi.

Prestolite starters have a poor reputation, mine is playing up and I intend to change the whole thing for a Bosch.

So the LR relay may not fit!

John

I bought a cheap replacement starter motor from paddocks which came in a horrid blue box. The solenoid seems to be playing up. Had everything apart and gave it all a good clean but its still not perfect. Seems like its not throwing the full distance, or its throwing the gear in but the contacts inside have burnt out. This wouldnt be a problem if it werent for the fact the solenoid seems like a sealed unit. Can i buy just the solenoid unit? Is there a part number for it anywhere?