Just upgraded my intercooler

well,after doing the fueling and turbo tweeks,i was looking about for a decent intercooler upgrade.i decided that the likes of Pace/Allard were too expensive.so,what to get.

after measuring up and seeing what would fi,.i ended up with an uprated RS 500 item.it's the biggest cooler that will fit in place.

you need to centralise the rad in the frame(re-drill one rad hole).on the intercooler,cut the top lugs off and trim the side lugs just so it slides between the wings.i used 2 bits of angle iron either side and drilled through the remains of the side mounts.then just bolted it all up.

you'll also need to modify the bonnet striker by cutting down the end.with a bit of use with the angle grinder the slam panel braces will go back in also.

hope this is of use to anyone else looking for a similar upgrade.

Intercooler was £119 delivered(brand new)

post-16787-0-18981400-1316105341_thumb.jpg

post-16787-0-70713600-1316105357_thumb.jpg

Could we see some pictures of the pipework please ? :)

haven't got the pipework done yet as i'm waiting for it to come.will be going from 76mm to 51mm with the least amount of bends.should be qutie easy with a couple of 90deg bends into alloy pipes.

pics will be put up with any other details.

looks similar to one's i looked at on ebay.universal front mount intercooler.pipework looks neat and tidy.similar to how mine will be.might have to move my airfilter to a homemade bracket on the aircon mountings.

what the reason for the 2 pwr steering res?

One side has a oil cooler but no to the otherside. Never really gave that much thought.

Next year I am going to fit a skirt all round the whole enclosure within the engine bay that will address that and air flow in general.

The idea being to allow air to pass through the oil,air and water rads and then go under the car effectively isolating the rest of the engine bay. Should lead to much faster warm up times and a hotter engine.

i decided that the likes of Pace/Allard were too expensive.

This is the bottom line - I think that the people selling LR specific upgraded intercoolers are taking us for a ride. £119 for the ebay one mentioned shows that over £400 for the similar LR offering is a lot. Bear in mind that the ebay one is not a basic box with pipes coming out like the cheapest ones (uprated offering for sierra cosworth). There must be some profit for someone in getting an upgrade TD5 (or whatever) pattern made in China - I'd buy one because I haven't the time for modifications and fabrication at the moment.

I want to do an intercooler upgrade somewhen myself, but because I use the vehicle offroad alot Iwould need to be able to clean thoroughly between the rad and cooler.

Anyone made an intercooler mount that is quickly detatchable or on a drop down hinge or something?

This is the bottom line - I think that the people selling LR specific upgraded intercoolers are taking us for a ride. £119 for the ebay one mentioned shows that over £400 for the similar LR offering is a lot. Bear in mind that the ebay one is not a basic box with pipes coming out like the cheapest ones (uprated offering for sierra cosworth). There must be some profit for someone in getting an upgrade TD5 (or whatever) pattern made in China - I'd buy one because I haven't the time for modifications and fabrication at the moment.

i know it is easier to fit one that has been made for the Defender but i'm tight.modifications needed for this fitment were very few indeed.a couple of bits of angle iron either side,foam tape between rad/intercooler and that was about it.a couple of hours in total.

it took longer to align up the bonnet striker and get that working properly than it did to mount the cooler.

i've just managed to sort out all the pipework for the intercooler hopefully making it as simple as possible.please bear in mind that this is a 200tdi Disco conversion using a "Steve Parker" intercooler conversion pipe kit.

this is what i used,

1x 76mm alloy pipe

1x 76mm/76mm elbow

1x 76mm to 51mm elbow

1x 76mm to 51mm straight reducer

post-16787-0-78682700-1316518553_thumb.jpg

post-16787-0-80723400-1316518491_thumb.jpg

post-16787-0-97026700-1316518521_thumb.jpg

hopefully this may be of use to anyone looking to upgrade there intercooler

Ralph

www.re-bourne4x4.co.uk

i've just managed to sort out all the pipework for the intercooler hopefully making it as simple as possible.please bear in mind that this is a 200tdi Disco conversion using a "Steve Parker" intercooler conversion pipe kit.

this is what i used,

1x 76mm alloy pipe

1x 76mm/76mm elbow

1x 76mm to 51mm elbow

1x 76mm to 51mm straight reducer

post-16787-0-78682700-1316518553_thumb.jpg

post-16787-0-80723400-1316518491_thumb.jpg

post-16787-0-97026700-1316518521_thumb.jpg

hopefully this may be of use to anyone looking to upgrade there intercooler

Thanks for the pictures :)