R380 Disco box to Defender box- shifting mech

Hi Nick Mc

I had a disco box changed to defender by Ashcroft a couple of years ago. the defender shifter and top housing bolt right on but the internal selector rods also need to be changed. I believe because the different levers have a different throw.

On enquiring with Dave it became apparent that this involved at least the rear portion of the case to be removed. Cost £180 all in but the box I aquired with a disco had only 2000 miles on it, so worth doing in my case.

Cheers

Nick

Nick

I have done this a couple of times. A disco box can be swapped to a defender spec box in under half an hour with minimal dismantling and a but of ingenuity

Shifter housing removed, the only difference between the two boxes is the length of the main shifter rail and the shifter yolk on the end of it.

I am in a rush today but if I get time later I will write up how to do the swap.

Yes you can use bits of a LT77 combined with an new shifter rail to convert a disco box to defender.

Is this thread destined to become one of the many I have trawled in the past looking for answers to this question, where a few people say how easy it is to do, a few others state it is a pig of a job, someone gives a few vague references on what is involved. and in the end no-one actually sets out just how to do it? ;)

I gave up trying to get a definitive answer in the end and just fitted a disco box to my 110. My thinking was that they are cheap and plentiful compared to defender R380s, my seat box was FUBARed, and I wanted to fit a flat floor in the cab anyway so a reworking of the tunnel wasn't really an issue. I am more than happy with the results though it was a fair bit of work to get it looking halfways decent.

I have been away for a while. Last few ones I have done have been converting good disco boxes to defender spec using worn out / water damaged defender boxes as spares donors.

To do this swap everyone will tell you the box needs to be stripped down totally to swap FTC4588 involving hunreds of pounds of labour. It can however be done in about 30 mins from start to finish. Drain the box, remove the bellhousing (six bolts), and top shifter mechanism. Remove the bolts holding the alloy rear housing and cast iron front housing to the mid plate and remove both housings. You are now left with all the gears and shifter forks held in one large cluster around the centre plate.

To remove the shifter rail locate the shift pins and measure the depth of protrusion through the shift rail using a vernier. Invert the gear clusters, position the shiftrail so that the shifter pins can be drifted out individually - they are an interference fit and the shift rail will need to be supported, easier with a helper to position the cluster while you drift the pins out; I support the rail around the pin using an old socket. Once the pins have been remove the old shift rail can be pushed through the forks and the new defender one fitted, making sure the detent doesnt fall out. Refit the shifter pins to the correct protrusion measured earlier. Reassemble box fitting defender shift quadrant instead of disco one and defender shifter mechanism.

I have seen disco boxes with the end of an LT77 shift rod with quadrant welded to the disco shift in situ and using the lt77 shift mech.

• 2 years later...
  • 4 years later...
On 10/9/2012 at 4:29 PM, oneandtwo said:

I have been away for a while. Last few ones I have done have been converting good disco boxes to defender spec using worn out / water damaged defender boxes as spares donors.

To do this swap everyone will tell you the box needs to be stripped down totally to swap FTC4588 involving hunreds of pounds of labour. It can however be done in about 30 mins from start to finish. Drain the box, remove the bellhousing (six bolts), and top shifter mechanism. Remove the bolts holding the alloy rear housing and cast iron front housing to the mid plate and remove both housings. You are now left with all the gears and shifter forks held in one large cluster around the centre plate.

To remove the shifter rail locate the shift pins and measure the depth of protrusion through the shift rail using a vernier. Invert the gear clusters, position the shiftrail so that the shifter pins can be drifted out individually - they are an interference fit and the shift rail will need to be supported, easier with a helper to position the cluster while you drift the pins out; I support the rail around the pin using an old socket. Once the pins have been remove the old shift rail can be pushed through the forks and the new defender one fitted, making sure the detent doesnt fall out. Refit the shifter pins to the correct protrusion measured earlier. Reassemble box fitting defender shift quadrant instead of disco one and defender shifter mechanism.

I have seen disco boxes with the end of an LT77 shift rod with quadrant welded to the disco shift in situ and using the lt77 shift mech.

Thank you for this post. I have searched the internet and this is the only post that described this process. I am going the other direction, changing a Defender box to Discovery. Here in the US LS swaps have become popular and Defender boxes are much more plentiful than Discovery. 

Regards,

Terry

Edited by terryjm1

5 hours ago, terryjm1 said:

Thank you for this post. I have searched the internet and this is the only post that described this process. I am going the other direction, changing a Defender box to Discovery. Here in the US LS swaps have become popular and Defender boxes are much more plentiful than Discovery. 

Regards,

Terry

I swapped a disco spec one to defender last year, I hadn’t done one for six years, wish I’d remembered I’d posted how to do it on here as I had to work out how to do it again!

Hope it helps you out!