Waterless Coolant on Wheeler Dealers, Would this be a benefit to the F

CJ1

I am just watching Wheeler Dealers on record and have seen them put Waterless Coolant in the TR6's system, would this benefit the Freelander 1 1.8 k series engine and possibly reduce the stresses on the head itself?

I am considering after getting my rear diff and VCU replaced doing this, but the cost is high.

What's your opnions? And has anybody already put this in there Freelander or other car?

• 3 weeks later...

I am just watching Wheeler Dealers on record and have seen them put Waterless Coolant in the TR6's system, would this benefit the Freelander 1 1.8 k series engine and possibly reduce the stresses on the head itself?

I am considering after getting my rear diff and VCU replaced doing this, but the cost is high.

What's your opnions? And has anybody already put this in there Freelander or other car?

Cost about £80 which also included a flush, reduces the system pressure so may help K series owners. My previous Rover 75 blew the gasket twice, once following all the mods that's why I bought a TD4 :)

• 2 weeks later...

The stuff they used was Evans coolant. The specific heat capacity of the stuff is just over half that of water, in other words it doesn't cool as efficiently so your engine will run hotter. I know this to be true as I've tried it. Swings and roundabouts I guess.

glad i seen this before i bought 30 litres for my buggy

Lurk mode off:

I've been very tempted to try Evans - and I still might. The deal isn't that it will run your engine cooler - it's that it can run hotter and yet not have hot spots, where the normal coolant might vaporize in layer of superheated steam. Once a spot like this starts, it tends to run away, getting hotter and hotter, as steam is as NOT GOOD as a coolant as water IS GOOD.

The theory, at least for me, would be that my VW Turbo Direct Injection diesel would be over-tuned, running high boost/high load above and beyond design limits, and I'd rather run high-temp evenly distributed than certain sections being treated to run-away thermal overload. My theory would be that a the head will be less likely to warp at 300F with Evans than it will with normal coolant at 275 - because there would be some spots in both situations that are being pushed to 3-350 - and Evans will stay as a fluid to nearly 400F.

That being said - it might not be the way to go for someone running normal to high loads on a standard configuration. I have heard it will help at high altitude - coolant boiling point being much effected by pressure - but again, you'll likely run hotter than you would with water, possibly even with a bigger radiator you might still run hotter, since Evans cannot remove heat from the motor as well as normal water/anti-freeze will.

your mileage may vary - and I haven't actually DONE this so it's still just a guy behind a keyboard here, not the voice of wisdom....

And...hello from Alaska again :D Darn it's cold here and no snow to speak of yet......so weird.....

Still interested to see what the results are of putting this in a K Series engine. But I am tapped out of cash after spending just over £2500 buying and repairing my car lol But I am happy to stick with standard anti freeze for now.

Perhaps you should research high performance engines like Porsche, Ferrari, Formula 1 etc and see if they use anything special (my son's Porsche 911 doesn't). I may be wrong but I can't believe that a Landrover engine needs this sort of treatment.

A lot of "high performance engines" don't need as much cooling as a Land Rover. They operate a high speeds where you get the air flow to cool them. A lot of ok, some landies operate for long periods at low speed and high revs which is when you really need the cooling.

I'm intrigued by the waterless coolant. The theory certainly makes sense, I’m just not sure it’s worth the extra money. Especially given the number of times I’ve had the radiator off recently.