300tdi Cat removal??

Mean Green

I have a blowing exhaust my 1995 300tdi.

I had the centre section replaced last week (after failing MOT) as it was more like swiss cheese than an exhaust.

However, neither the MOT tester or Exhaust fitter noticed that it was also blowing at the front section. The webbing flexi pipe has almost disintegrated.

So the question is.. is a non-cat downpipe a straight replacement for a Cat version or an I going to have to look at getting the downpipe custom made/bodged?

I dont really want to have to change the new centre section after less than 1 week.

Any suggestions.

I have a blowing exhaust my 1995 300tdi.

I had the centre section replaced last week (after failing MOT) as it was more like swiss cheese than an exhaust.

However, neither the MOT tester or Exhaust fitter noticed that it was also blowing at the front section. The webbing flexi pipe has almost disintegrated.

So the question is.. is a non-cat downpipe a straight replacement for a Cat version or an I going to have to look at getting the downpipe custom made/bodged?

I dont really want to have to change the new centre section after less than 1 week.

Any suggestions.

Just change ther front pipe, direct replacement.

regards Keith

Thanks for all the replies.

I was unsure as to the compatibility, the exhaust catalogues show the front pipes as completely different shapes. Glad it is a straight swap.

Will check out the Steve Parker option too .. I suppose it depends on the condition of the rest of the down pipe.

As an aside, could blocked cats cause a significant power loss? The Disco is very sluggish.

wouldnt removing the cat fail the next mot ??

No, not on a 1995 Disco as there is no MOT requirement for a cat to be fitted to that age of diesel. ;)

As an aside, could blocked cats cause a significant power loss? The Disco is very sluggish.

It won't be helping and at 11 years old (assuming it's the original) then it may not be doing much with reducing the emmisions either!!

IIRC the replacement one I had fitted cost something like £45 and you're looking for a pre-95 300 TDi downpipe.

You won't find a pre 95 300Tdi downpipe as the first 300s were 1995 model year :)

You probably want a 1995 model year downpipe, though in some parts of the world it was fitted right the way through (here, for example)

P/no required is ESR2740 Down pipe (non-cat)

You won't find a pre 95 300Tdi downpipe as the first 300s were 1995 model year :)

You probably want a 1995 model year downpipe, though in some parts of the world it was fitted right the way through (here, for example)

P/no required is ESR2740 Down pipe (non-cat)

My '95 300Tdi (UK spec) has a cat, so I guess you're talking either 200Tdi or non-UK. What's ESR2740 from?

you'll also find (and i wont be held to this) that the front pipe from an early 300Tdi defender will also fit, and is stronger as it doesn't have the flexi joint...

i'll let you know for sure in a couple of weeks as i've got one in the workshop ready to fit to mine... i've lined it up, and it seams ok....

defender pipes are also cheaper as it hasn't got the flexi...

m@tt.

In answer to my own question ... yes it is worth taking the cats out!

Today I changed the down pipe (simple straight swap), removed the EGR and flushed the intercooler.

What a difference!! I think with a little fuel pump tweak it will go very well indeed.