Mating engine to gearbox problems

Don't force it, you will damage the splines on the input shaft or in the clutch driven plate, and then the clutch won't work. Once all properly lined up, it should go together easily, sliding together in one smooth movement.

I've had some slide straight on, some be an absolute pig no matter what you do, and one that simply wouldn't go on at all. The latter was due to the engine being a range rover classic retro fit TDI. So when I tried to put it on a TDI lt77 I wouldn't go, turns out the retro fit kit uses the V8 lt77 and a special spigot bush that has a smaller internal diameter to suit the V8 box. It will not go on a TDI box until you change it for the TDI spigot bush.

Mike

I am pleased this is not just me! Have fought for hours, given up and had a beer then come back for 'one last go' and it has pretty much fell on. Have been lucky some times bit not often. Most painful was an SJ box I was helping a mate with, unbeknown to me the box going on was not the one that came off and there was a set of dowels left in both sides πŸ™ˆπŸ™ˆπŸ™ˆ