disc brakes

series3_mad

Correct me if I'm wrong, but that looks like rangie rear disk and hubs?

IIRC you'll find the calipers are impossible to mount unless you want to get into horrible brackets picking up the top/bottom swivel bolts.

Hard to tell from your pictures though.

What calipers you planning to use?

Jon

Correct me if I'm wrong, but that looks like rangie rear disk and hubs?

IIRC you'll find the calipers are impossible to mount unless you want to get into horrible brackets picking up the top/bottom swivel bolts.

Hard to tell from your pictures though.

What calipers you planning to use?

Jon

I tried this route in about 1985 and still haven;t got anywhere!!! :D:D

Even if you turn the Series hub down at the back and mount the disc direct onto it which gets around the driveshaft length / flange bolt pattern problems there is still nowhaere sensible to mount the calipers....

There is however an easy, resonably cheap and very enjoyable way of getting discs onto the front of a series:

It is all bolt on, made up of standard parts with readily available spares and comes with a free weekend away...

Get a cheap weekend break to Barcelona, go round the industrial bit, not the beach and buy a second hand setup off a Santana!!!

David

PS If you want a travel guide then as long as you pay me, the wife and kids will come with you to help in the search :P

A disc with a lower hat area is required to maybe make it work, i am also in the process of doing disks but i will try using toyota disks, so i can squeeze a bracket off the 6 bolts mounting the stub axle.

Tonk, i know you did yours yourself, what disk did you adapt??.........please............. PM me if its top secret.................. :ph34r:

Grem

• 1 month later...

Time for the next question, what toyota model? Hilux? any chance of a part number?

I am asking as the ones i found have 6 mounting holes!! I am having trouble locating the right disc with maybe 5 holes!!

Help!!

Grem

i cant remember the model of disc nor a part number for them, IIRC the ones i used had 4 holes where they normally slip over the studs on the hub and 2 more holes which would hold them on, i machined new mounting holes for them.

all you really need to track down is a disc with about the right offset and diameter, then machine your own holes in it to match whatever you put in your hub.

Thanks thats already a start, i was looking at disks with a similar diameter and center hole as landrover items but with less offset. So the hilux ones are the closest to that requirement. therefore it seems you used a car disk, back on the hunt then................

Grem

Thanks thats already a start, i was looking at disks with a similar diameter and center hole as landrover items but with less offset. So the hilux ones are the closest to that requirement. therefore it seems you used a car disk, back on the hunt then................

Grem

If you use discs with less offset, first make sure that the caliper will not interfere with the LandRover wheel mounting flange on the hub. As anyone who has attempted to do their own disc conversion soon learns, the main problems are, because the series swivel housings are so big, it is difficult to mount the caliper at the correct distance to the hub centre. If you move the caliper further away from centre the caliper interferes with the ventilation flutes on series type wheels. If you locate the caliper at the correct distance from centre there is insufficient room against the swivel housing to fit the caliper mounting bolts to whatever caliper mounting bracket you fabricate.

I did get around this hurdle once when I was mocking up a disc conversion, but then I moved on to making my portals and forgot about it. If I can remember what I did I will repost.

Bill.

What is so "horrible" about that? I have seen it done a few times and it works well.

I don't know what all of you are saying is so hard. I know at least 2 conversions using Rangie FRONT discs and FRONT calipers - that can run standard series rims too. You just need to remove the normal mounting bracket from the caliper, fit longer bolts to join the 2 halves of the caliper together, and use them as the mounting points.

Hi Bill

Thanks for the input, i am using 8 spoke white wheelers or disco steel rims so the the rim clearance should not be an issue. The only thing is that i will probably not be able to fit a standard rim after all is done, although that does not matter as i have 2 sets of 8 spokes and a set of discos.

I did some measuring and it looks like its going all to be a tight squeeze, but as others have already managed, i should too. Keep the suggestions coming!

I will update whats what as i progress further, its a bit of a slow process as many of you might have already found out.

Thanks

Grem

I recall how I would have mounted the caliper. I prebolted the caliper to a piece of 1/2'' thick flat plate that had 2 extra bolt holes in a more convenient location drilled into it to attach to a caliper mounting which was a half of a top hat section I made that picked up 4 of the 6 stub axle (spindle) bolts. This was all mocked up out of wood and doesn't exist anymore.

I showed the idea to a mate who wanted to fit very wide ventilated Porshe Discs to his series and it worked well.

Bill.

Update, after lots of meausuring it seems i will have to abandon the idea of the shallow offset disks and go with rear defender items! The late 90 calipers i have will stick out too much from the hub without wheel clearance problems.

Its either i go with 20mm wheel spacers or go for another caliper!

The other path i can take is to keep my rebuilt 90 calipers, fit defender rear discs with some sort creative mounting bracket!

I will mock one up with the defender rear disk (Easier to source and fit for me) and take some pics.

Grem

• 4 months later...

Howdy all,

Well i finally made some progress regarding the disks and brackets. This is still at mock up stage but i feel i am progressing well. Hubs finally machined and tapped, so i got down to the job of fabricating a bracket to hold the caliper from wood!! I went this route as its easy to remake with no costs and i really wanted a trail fit. This will be used as a template for the engineer to make a copy of. Now some pics. Final pic is the mounted caliper assembly (excuse the mess)

Now this setup fits 15inch wheels and also disco wheels, i still have to try with a standard landy rim, till now all bits are landrover including the disks and calipers. Some light grinding af the caliper was needed and also the swivel housing had to be clearanced for the caliper holding bolts, or else removal would be impossible.

Next step is to have the brakets fabricated, which leave me with a dilemma. I will post this on the fabriacation forum to see what the techies will say. Basically i fabricated the bracket from 2 bits which i later glued together. Now should i machine from solid or make two bits and weld?? ha haha.............. the latter will take less time to do and probably be cheaper, the first option will be time consuming as the rate the engineering guys work here, it will be a year when i get my brakets back.

So solid or welded??

Until the next update............

Grem

post-116-1181059467_thumb.jpg

post-116-1181059552_thumb.jpg

post-116-1181059661_thumb.jpg

post-116-1181059751_thumb.jpg

post-116-1181059855_thumb.jpg

make the caliper mount from one solid bit, much nicer IMO.

what calipers are you using?

is that a spacer plate on the hub to make up where the drum has been removed? if so it looks a little small in diameter to support the wheel flat when its bolted on, i think it needs to be in the region of 216mm diameter IIRC.

300tdi 90 calipers from 98>. Discs are rear td5 110 items (non salisbury type).

Yes the bracket is better machined from solid but it was worth asking anyway.

Yes that plate in fact is a machined down drum, i checked with my 8 spokes and the disco wheels and they have just the right amount of support. With standard wheels i think it will not work. Its easy anyway to have another 2 made out of old drums in a larger diameter as long as they do not foul the caliper body.

Its all of a tight squeeze i must admit, but i am happy with the result till now.

I will also drill some pilot holes to see what thickness i left in the swivel housings before i proceed any further.

Grem

I was having a wander thru google a while ago on the subject of series disc brakes & more specifically Rocky Mountain series disc brakes when I found this, Rocky Mountain Disc brakes It would seem that they have had their caliper mounting brackets bent /pressed out of a piece of heavy plate. This would be another approach.

I'm still trying to get my head around the longer hub they use, I suspect it has something to do with the clearance thing between swivel housing & the inside of the wheel, its obviously a pretty tight spot but as I don't have one here to play with I'm struggling to visualise the geometry involved. Something like this with a standard hub would be the go. I know a guy locally that used to do conversions using a cast disc bolted to the rear of the hub & Toyota Corolla calipers, sounds wimpey but another friend who had some on his series 1 said they were really good, 'specially after river crossings. Maybe its all relative to what was there b4. :D;)

Steve.