Tips for Rad and block flushing

I managed to resurrect a near completely blocked rad once by taking it off the car, filling it with water, shoving the air line in one end to introduce a bit of bubble based agitation. It helps if you can seal the end with the air line in and tip it up a bit. Repeat a few times and you might get lucky like I did.

• Like 1

I've found oxalic acid very good: 

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1kg-Oxalic-acid-Hull-Deck-GRP-Cleaner-rust-remover-/130672302665?hash=item1e6cad1a49:g:IVgAAOSwBLlVACMc

Only attacks the rust, leaves bare steel and aluminium alone, very gently otherwise as it is used as wood bleach.

It is what you find in Holts Radflush etc, but with it in powder form you can do it so much more cheaply and with a stronger solution...

• Like 1

I have a permanently fitted inlet point in the return hose from my heater. Plug your garden hose into it and turn the water on, remove the filler plug at the top of the rad and everything gets back flushed out of the system

• Like 2

Mo , don't get the stuff on your hands , or anywhere else for that matter . Being a smart arse I didn't pay any attention to the normal health and safety blurb when stripping some old oak doors not only does the made up solution burn like buggery on bare skin the dried powder left behind is nasty and also burns like buggery if it gets into your eyes , nose or mouth , ive been told since it rehydrates and is still quite effective as an acid . HTH .

• Like 2

I think it is important to second what HampshireHog says: take precautions if you use either of the chemicals suggested as they have the potential to do some serious harm, not only are they corrosive but they are also toxic - face and hand protection is an absolute must.

Caustic soda is okay in moderation for the block but may start to attack none ferrous materials if you make up a too concentrated solution that will be hot or leave it too long. I appreciate these substances are often in solutions you can buy but they will be in a controlled formulation of known concentration.

I found some quite big lumps of rubbish can be got out of the block if you take out the larger core plugs on the side of the block and get a pressure washer in there to blast the rubbish out.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, neil110 said:

I have a permanently fitted inlet point in the return hose from my heater. Plug your garden hose into it and turn the water on, remove the filler plug at the top of the rad and everything gets back flushed out of the system

Could you post a picture of that connection, please?  I sounds like an eminently sensible mod.

It is from a kit I bought at Walmart during the period I lived in America. If you screw the cap off, you can then screw on a small yellow fitting, the garden hose clips onto that. I would imagine that most of the bits would be available from your local garden centre. Alternatively it may be possible to order it from Walmart.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Prestone-Antifreeze-Flush-and-Fill-Kit/16817507

20170720_124845[1].jpg

20170720_124909[1].jpg

Edited by neil110
  • Like 1

The cap is sealing the T piece and has never leaked a drop in the umm 5 years it has been on there. yes that is the windscreen washer hose wrapped around the heater pipes. Keeps it from freezing in winter and seems to help the screen wash cut through the grease/sap better during summer..

Some of those kits on the bay of flea as well.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2380057.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.TRS0&_nkw=Prestone+Antifreeze+Flush+and+Fill+Kit&_sacat=0

Edited by neil110
  • Like 1