Advice on Roll Cage.

Hi, I have a 90 with a North Off Road external cage, this mounts to the side of the chassis, which as I see it, it will not be allowed at ALRC events, comp safari / ccvt. My options are to modify the mounts to make them attach to the top of chassis, or sell the landy and get one that will be suitable for ALRC events.Bearing in mind I live on an Island of the north of scotland so would not be competing on a regular basis, due to cost involved of travel, but its something I want to do. As its safety I dont want to compromise, so maybe the best thing would  be to sell the 90 on and get something more suited to off road competition rules. Thanks Richard.

Not sure what options you have but you could look for a club that doesn't have it's own odd roll cage regulations. As above, does the cage meet MSA requirements ? I had a cage in my Range Rover that was FIA and MSA registered and could be used in Rally Raid, stage rallies, hill rallies etc... without a problem but I couldn't compete at a local comp. safari or ccvt with my ALRC club. I just went to another club instead, was a lot cheaper and the competition was/is a lot better.

Might be different here though as there is a lot of choice when it comes to clubs in Yorkshire. It'd be worth talking to the club even if they are an ALRC club, if your cage meets MSA spec, because many ALRC clubs run outside their regulations anyway so there may be more leeway than you think. Our local ALRC club often allows vehicles to compete that don't comply with ALRC regulations just to fill out the numbers.

Thats correct Comp Safari and maybe ccvt, built to ALRC spec wouid seem to give a broader scope. As I see it its either ALRC or AWDC events in Scotland, and ALRC is the one I would go for as a novice. I tried contacting North Off Road bu tweb site not working,I think the best thing would be to sell my 90 and buy something allready built and give it a try.

• 3 weeks later...

ALRC roll cage requirements are finally in-line with MSA requirements as far as I understand.

But there are plenty of additional ALRC requirements that are unique - even though there's a trial of what's called Q Class until the beginning of July 2018. In Q Class virtually anything is allowed - as long as the vehicle is Land Rover based & meets MSA Blue Book requirements. 

No reply from North Off Road, and decided in the end to by an 88 inch tomcat to AlRC spec, a lot  cheaper than starting to build or modify my 90, and V8 instead of TD5. Going to get 90 through test and sell,  now to join ALRC club in scotland and ut looking forwards to it.bget some competition experiance, I live in Orkney so got a long way to travel. 

Thanks for replies.