Crash, Bang, Wallop what a picture...

SteveG

A week ago last Monday I was heading down to Devon for a days off-roading. We were making good time and was just coming up to Taunton when we had a little accident.

We were on the A358, Henlade on a dual carriageway when a car suddenly braked to turn left. The Volvo in front of me slammed on and so did I. The lady managed to swerve and avoid the car as it was turning. I swerved too but not enough to avoid the Volvo - Crash, I clipped the the rear offside with my front nearside. Then instantly there was a loud Bang and Wallop ;) from the rear as an Astra ploughed into the back of the 90.

Doesn't look too bad..

Image048.jpg

The Astra looked worse though..

Image052-1.jpg

however, radius arm now has a slight kink in it..

Image050.jpg

and there might be a slight vibration if I try to drive on this wheel..

wheel001.jpg

wheel003.jpg

The front wing and bumper took a bit of a thump too..

Image055.jpg

Image054.jpg

Image053.jpg

Here it is on the flatbed at Land Rover Taunton..

Image057.jpg

Managed to fit in an afternoon off-roading riding around in the back of GBMUD's Defender. Thanks to Chris for all of the help and keeping Howard entertained while waiting for Land Rover Assist and LR dealer to work out what they could/couldn't do.

Had a quiet ride home in a Discovery TDV6 on the way home so wasn't all bad! ;)

Cheers

Steve

Must admit I'm glad I drive an LR if only for the advance visibility and added safety. In busy traffic in recent weeks I've had a car stopped in the n/s lane (not the hard shoulder) of the M42 and another car on the M27 straddling both hard shoulder and n/s lane facing the oncoming lorries :o Can also recall a very dramatic incident one night on the A19 dual carriageway when a car past me, clipped the central reservation and started spinning round and round in front of me with lots of sparks as it bounce form one curb to the other, more by luck we didn't hit that one.

Remember in my youth someone parked their MG under my 109 coming down a dual carriageway. No material damage to the 109 at all :D

Don't surpose the Volvo looked very happy either, with that winch bumper !! :unsure: lookes like you have not had the 90 back yet then

Think you when a bit too far, with the kinked rear arms :o

Steve has the 90 at home in full working order, cos he extracted us [Neil/V8 Freak] earlier this evening

a big :i-m_so_happy: to Steve

Do Tell Ralph!

We [ralph & neil] in his V8 110 went over to Steve's abode for a chat, on the way home we were driving a lane that Steve had done many times previously, but at a narrowish part the 110 decided to slip sideways into a ditch on the left & there we stopped at about 20degree leftside down, [of course my [Ralph's] 110 was at Neil's house miles away] so Steve was called out [he did say if we had any problems to ring] & after a short wait for him to arrive, succesfully extracted us from said ditch & we drove the rest of the lane without any bother, a quick thank you to Steve & we proceeded home cos we was late for dinner, sorry no pics of this little hiccup cos it was far to dark.

i got stuck in the traffic jam becuase of this little accident- i was coming back to the office for a meeting with the bank manager :D

i went past this green 90 and thought- i wonder if i konw them! i should have stopped and said hello- you could have come back for a cuppa!

Can't you see I'm too embarrassed to show my face now... Hence Ralph doing all the posting ! ^_^

Have to admit I don't know how it happened, just sort of slipped left into a ditch ! :unsure:

Steve was a hero... Left a nice warm house to galavant along a lane after two nutters he'd only met an hour before !

Can't thank him enough... :i-m_so_happy::i-m_so_happy::i-m_so_happy:

If a diagram will suffice we can probably manage that for you, but the exaggeration of angles and inclines will be in my favour..... :blush:

Did the bumper bend Steve?

any news re repairs?

Just needed rear radius arm to get it back on the road. Fiasco there though as local dealer messed up on parts, so I had to get one from Mansfield 4x4 take it to the dealer to get them to fit it. Wouldn't let me fit it so had to pay 43 quid to replace a radius arm.

Just needs panelwork done now. Yes Tony bumper did bend not by much though.

The Volvo was not too bad Tim - rear bumper, light cluster and crease in rear panel. I was surprised to extent of damage to 90 at the front, know how bendable 90 front wings are though so shouldn't be.

Neil and Ralph - no problem with helping out. Neil it's easy to say in hindsight, it was bound to happen after I said "YOU'LL HAVE NO PROBLEMS ON THOSE LANES". You did the best thing by calling rather than risk it tipping over more by trying to get it out yourself. Glad I get you out going forwards in the end as if we needed to carry on with taking you out backwards we would have had to break out the shovels and waffles and dinner would have been in the bin :blink: by the time you got home! ;)

Cheers

Steve