Td5 auto gearbox issues

DiscoNewB

Good day to all, I wish to seek advise, I recently had a problem with a transfer box, got that sorted out by replacing it with a reconditioned one. I drove a car for about 60km, on a hill climb it felt like I had a clutch slip and engine light came on and eventually went off. I continued driving for another 10km until I reached another hill climb whereby I lost all the power with a whining noise on acceleration. I initially suspected it was a transfer case. I then removed it, I found no faults on the case. I then decided to have a look at gearbox whilst the case was out. I started the engine to assess the behavior of the drive shaft. On inspection I realized that the output shaft does turn on all the gears but I could be able to stop it with my hand while on gear. I have confirmed the oil level. What I also realized lately, when I turn off the motor, there is a sound of a spinning wheel like or shaft like object. That runs for few seconds. Thanks in advance 

Cheers 
Percy 

Are you only able to stop it with the engine idling? That is probably pretty normal - there isn't much drive at idle.

The spinning noise will probably be the engine oil rotor, it spins at thousands of RPM and winds down when you turn the engine off.

On 10/9/2017 at 3:41 AM, DiscoNewB said:

Morning all

i have just performed a stall test and I get 4900 r/min. Does that suggest a clutch slip. If so how do I go about solving it. Thanks in advance

Definitely not right. If there is a clutch slipping there is usually a horrible squeal. Think torturing a pig and you'll be on the right track. Hard to miss!

I'd also look at the drive plate as the next thing. Gearbox out to change it.

4900rpm is the rev limit for the TD5... suggest you will need to drop the main gearbox, either to replace the flex plate, torque converter, or the box itself.

My tentative money would be on the flex plate, you can see this if you remove the cover panels as above.

Good day all. I have done an inspection as advised. I opened the inspection window under the bell housing, and I found everything intact. I turned the drive plate with a screw driver and found it nicely attached to the torque converter. I also did an inspection with the motor on, everything seems intact. All I could hear was a rattle in the box above the oil sump. The sound is like when you put a stone in the tin and shake it. I wish anybody can shed some light. Thanks in advance 

Cheers 

Percy

I wonder if there is enough information in the thread for David Ashcroft to be able to advise if its a problem with the gearbox internals..

@ashtrans - David.. Does this sound like a gearbox or torque converter failure based on the information above or can you advise of an additional test the OP can do to check before considering removal and replacement?

Thanks in advance....

• 6 years later...

Hi I have a similar problem I have a 2003 discovery TD5  auto when I put it in drive it goes but won’t upshift any gears stays in one gear  and goes in to reverse ok any ideas what it could be it’s had new oil and filter in the gearbox anything I should look for thank you