Defender 200tdi - Clutch Low Biting Point

Hi all,

I have a Defender 91" 200tdi and recently the clutch pedal has started to feel soft and the biting point has dropped. On one occasion it was very hard to change gears.

The clutch is about 2yrs old heavy duty ( last time it went it was the bearing/ pivot ball I think). Pedal has always been slightly soft for the first inch, but now is noticeable softer till about an inch or two off the bottom. No leaks or noticeable drop in fluid in the reservoir. 

I thought it might just need the pedal to be adjusted which I've done but still no luck. 

Any suggestions?

Cheers, Ben

15 hours ago, ByCamelToVietnam said:

That's what I was thinking Western, although surely if I'm not loosing any fluid out of the reservoir there is no leak?

Or could the part be failing internally?

cheers Ben 

I had a similar problem with no loss of fluid.  New master cylinder sorted it.  As Western says "if you change the master do the slave at the same time". I assume my master was failing internally, probbably seals?

Thanks for the reply guys.

Master cylinder went in no trouble.

But, I've had a mare with the slave cylinder and stupidly pulled on the pushrod and its come out with the clip. I've tried to put the clip back in but struggling to find the right position for the clip to go in. 

Reading around it sounds like the clip isn't necessary, a dob of grease will keep it seated.

What are peoples thoughts on no clip? I'm not at all keen on engine/gearbox out job. 

Cheers Ben

The other thing that could make the bite point low is a stretched pivot point on the fork, which is a weak spot.  If replacing the hydraulics doesn't fix it, and bleeding with the front end upslope (to get air in the slave against the bleed port) doesn't work, then that could be a warning that the fork pivot point is about to burst.

Thanks again for all the advice.

I ended up just putting the slave in without seating the clip onto the fork. No problems thus far.

Bleeding the clutch has definitely improved the pedal feel and with some adjustment of the pedal. Biting points is a bit more central and off the floor now.

3 hours ago, Snagger said:

The other thing that could make the bite point low is a stretched pivot point on the fork, which is a weak spot.  If replacing the hydraulics doesn't fix it, and bleeding with the front end upslope (to get air in the slave against the bleed port) doesn't work, then that could be a warning that the fork pivot point is about to burst.

Possibly could be this and imagine it will be this if it fails. I have a fork which has the plate behind the ball point could this still break through?

As Mo says, the reinforced fork should be ok.

I had a low bite point and soft pedal until I elevated the front end before bleeding.  It doesn't seem to affect most people, but if you have eliminated the cylinders and fork but still get trouble, it's worth a try.