110 CSW 300Tdi shock absorber advice needed.

Can somebody with experience please advise me.  My vehicle is as above with standard suspension.  I'm looking for advice on what min and max length shocks I need.  As far as I know the ones that I've taken off are standard Armstrong units with a string of meaningless numbers below the name: 65  0  09095  0908.  The min and max lengths are 17.75" and 26.5".  However, looking at details of Pro Comp ES9000 items on Paddocks site, listed for 110 CSW, none of the standard height, +2" and +4" shocks meet the minimum length or the maximum length.  So, my questions are: What min and max length was standard or what should I be aiming for, and what make and model do members recommend, please?

DSCN0828.thumb.JPG.468fdccbceb0a49f7ca6dfad96071ba0.JPG

Many thanks, in advance, for all input.

Mike

They don't appear to have been leaking but .....  They are quite difficult to pull out to full extension, but once there it takes minimal force to compress them about 40% of their stroke, and then a steady significant force to fully close them.  I'm assuming that the easy compression section shouldn't exist as I've never had it on new shocks, hence my thoughts to replace them.  And have you seen the prices of Armstrong shocks on Paddocksales?  I don't know what LR models they are for, and there are no photos, but you need to be sitting down and wearing a strong chin-strap when you look at them. They must be made of solid unbelievium.

http://www.paddockspares.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=Armstrong+stc209+shock+absorber 

Anyway, I'll be very happy if my current shocks are still worth re-installing.

Mike

Shocks should take a minimum force for initial compression.  Otherwise it would be like riding on rocks the whole time!  When I was into motorcycles and interested in these things, rebound damping was also supposed to be a good bit stiffer than compression damping and I can't see it being different for Land Rovers.  Of course, brand new shocks will have lots of grip from the seals and would feel a little stickier?  Think about it like that and try them again.  I'd be surprised if you needed a new pair.  Note, though, that both sides should be similar.

Thanks for the explanation, deep.  Yes, both sides are exactly the same, so perhaps they are still OK.  Unless I get other views that significantly point me the other way, I think that I'll refit them and maybe replace them later, if they really fail to perform.

Mike

I think Paddocks may have no stock so rather than saying that they put a stupid price on it rather than removing the search...

Other suppliers tell a different story....

https://www.lrdirect.com/STC3769-110-Front-Shock-Absorber/?keep_https=yes

Armstrong unit second on the listing is more like it, even the LR bagged ones aren't too ridiculous. Personally at £25 a side I'd replace them, then you won't have to revisit them for some time.

• Like 1

I don’t really understand what’s happening with that search result at Paddocks but if you search on their site starting Defender and going through to , say front shockers, there are sixteen listed at all sorts of prices from blue box, to top end versions.

If your happy with the Ride of your 110, stick to standard Land Rover stuff. You could use 130 rear shocks to increase the damping effect but you probably wont notice much different if you dont load your 110 up.

For aftermarket stuff, I personally would only ever use Koni Heavy Trak shocks. Adjustable, and lifetime guarantee.

Also to test the shocks properly you need them to be upright (as they are when on the vehicle) lf you test them on their side, or after being on their side, or upside down, they will initially have a large amount of free travel before they do anything.

Thanks, Great Minds, for bringing me back to reality.  I usually check across a number of suppliers to compare prices, and there's always a few percent variations, but at the price Paddockspares quoted I didn't bother looking further, assuming they would all be in the same ballpark.

Is it correct that although the 3.5V8 and the 300Tdi had different spring specifications the shock absorbers are the same, since the LRDirect site states that their STC3769 replaces three other LR part numbers: https://www.lrdirect.com/STC3769-110-Front-Shock-Absorber/?keep_https=yes ? 

Dave88sw's link to Britcar pre-Td5 also gives part number STC3769, which looks like the right one for my vehicle.

Also, Lightning, thanks for the tip.  Yes, I did test them while they were horizontal, so I'll stand them up for an hour or so and retest them.

Thanks again, guys, for the guiding hand.

Mike