The new face of Land Rover

Disco_Dunk

Apparently, Zara Phillips is to appear in an LR advert, wearing a designer dress with mud spattered up it...... :o

http://news.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,301...3556121,00.html

I guess it's good publicity, especially as she won Sports Personality Of The Year (!!!!), but it DOES kinda highlight the market that LR aim at (can't really blame them - the horsey brigade has always had money!). To my mind, though the 'true' face of LR should be a bearded bloke in oily overalls, smoking a pipe that smells like something died in it. :D

On a related note - is it just me, or has Sports Personality Of The Year got earlier and earlier - it used to be on New Years Eve, then in the week between xmas and New Year, and now it's early December!!

Dunk

I don't think there's anything new in it. Land Rover has been a pretty broad church for years - moreso perhaps since the introduction of the Range Rover. The equine and fieldsports press has carried adverts for the vehicles for decades, I doubt the company would generate equal amounts of money solely from pipe smoking bearded blokes in oily overalls :D;)

I don't think there's anything new in it. Land Rover has been a pretty broad church for years - moreso perhaps since the introduction of the Range Rover. The equine and fieldsports press has carried adverts for the vehicles for decades, I doubt the company would generate equal amounts of money solely from pipe smoking bearded blokes in oily overalls :D;)

Probably not that many pipe smoking beardy blokes in overalls buy Range Rover Sports :)

On the other hand the horsey brigade will be dripping with them. Probably all in black with matching picnic hampers dahling :lol:

well Land rover is the only company in the world to have all the royal family emblems of indorment.

And that is quite a thing. To get them the member of the royal family has to buy a product of you twice and from their personall bank account and not the state or house account

I went up to see the international horse event trials last summer near Burnham Market, Norfolk. Zara Phillips was riding there too. There were RR's & LR's everywhere. There is a whole area from the North Norfolk coast to just North of King's Lynn that the locals call Chelsea on Sea. Since the rail line was electrified from London to King's Lynn, many wealthy Londoners have been buying up flint cottages all over that area. Once they have the cottage, they either buy a Volvo or a LR to sit in the drive ready for their weekend visits. I think this is a big petential market for LR and I can see why they are trying to exploit it.

I went up to see the international horse event trials last summer near Burnham Market, Norfolk. Zara Phillips was riding there too. There were RR's & LR's everywhere. There is a whole area from the North Norfolk coast to just North of King's Lynn that the locals call Chelsea on Sea. Since the rail line was electrified from London to King's Lynn, many wealthy Londoners have been buying up flint cottages all over that area. Once they have the cottage, they either buy a Volvo or a LR to sit in the drive ready for their weekend visits. I think this is a big petential market for LR and I can see why they are trying to exploit it.

LR have been targetting that market for years - it's nothing new.

LR have been targetting that market for years - it's nothing new.

Always make me laugh when someone says Land Rover don't sponser anything. I always reply that they do but you must not move in the right circles :lol::lol:

They have tarketed the horse riding and sailing for years

Guest dew110CSW
And lets face it - when was the last time most of us bought a brand new Land Rover? Yes, I know there are exceptions - but not enough to make us worth targeting with marketing money.

So true, LR Main dealers don't care about anything that isn't on a 51 or newer plate. We're just good press, but not worth LRs time and money.

I thought LR had always had at least one eye on that market. The Range Rover Vogue came out sometime around 1980 didn't it??? Not to mention giving Churchill a Series one or building that rather nice 2.6 109 for the Queen Mum in 1960-something-or-other... Seems an image far more in keeping with traditional Landies than rappers in RR Sport blingmobiles, even if the current object of attention is somewhat easier on the eye than Prince Charles... :D

Cheers

Luke

I think that geoffbeaumont has hit it dead on. Not many of us "enthusiasts" can afford the depreciation on a brand new Def, let alone a Rangie, so long may the horsey and sailing brigade carry the massive early depreciation that provides us with wonderful vehicles to play with. Long live the Sloane Range Rover (sic) brigade!

MikeRowen