D5 - fixed!

Bowie69

20 hours ago, L19MUD said:

I think Steve G is probably right! I looked all week and a couple of times I thought I had spotted one and realised it was an Explorer

Less ugly and I bet cheaper too

Think I will stick with my Range Rover!

As ugly as the D5 is, it's nowhere as ugly as an Explorer...

• 4 weeks later...
On 17/12/2017 at 2:37 PM, SteveG said:

It was probably a Ford Explorer.

I was in San Jose, California last week. One of my colleagues got an Uber - a 'Range Rover' turned up - with LR badges front and rear (replacing the oval Ford badges), Range Rover lettering on the bonnet edge and Vogue badging on the back.. It fooled my colleagues for a while, took them a while to twig it was actually a Ford Explorer rebadged!

Caveated that I recognise that my taste is no more valid than anyone else’s - I’m really not keen on the whole Land Rover range now.

For me, part of Land Rovers identity has been how aesthetics were secondary to function - making the most capable 4x4 vehicles seemed to be the soul of the company, and for very sound commercial reasons they have moved away from that.

I like change and technology - for instance I’m interested in the whole Tesla thing despite still believing that the smell of 2-stroke would be my dream aftershave.

I read a quote from Jerry McGovern where he said he’d got the internal structure changed - that Styling used to report to Engineering, and now its the other way around.

That for me sums up the change - it literally is now style over substance.

The heart of the company has changed and the new direction doesn’t resonate with me.

It’s too strong to say I find it neither useful or beautiful, it would have use as a big family car - but the aesthetics I find so grim that I wouldn’t choose it.

I’m not keen on the roof chop look, they seem to have lost their elegance, and maybe because of some of the customer demographic around here - they seem rather synonymous with ‘look - I’m rich’ - which interestingly is what JLR’s staff training said RR range is all about.

There it’s off my chest.