Land Rover Defender - 1988 RHD Steering Wheel Removal

This isn't another post about how to take the steering wheel off a defender - I found quite a few of those searching.  I had a bit of difficulty removing the steering wheel so I bought a steering wheel puller, which looks great, except that I don't have the correct bolts (I bought it in USA, where I live, where it came with SAE bolts).  From trying different threads I discovered that the correct thread is the imperial thread, which is finer than the metric bolts on most on the rest of the Land Rover.  The bolt I checked was from the end steering column in the engine bay where I had a spare bolt laying around.  Attached is the image of it.  Does anyone know the size of them and where I might be able to buy some longer ones, hopefully within USA.

2017-12-02 15.38.30.jpg

Like Western says, it looks like an M6 bolt. Just a little smaller than 1/4", .236" to be more precise. Nowadays most decent hardware stores like Lowe's and Home Depot in the US will stock metric fasteners.

So, the thread is definitely not metric.  I tried using metric and they won't screw in more than a couple of turns.  The one I took a photo of is a slightly finer thread, although very close to M6 - it screws in all the way.  Anyone have any idea where I could order these, or identify the thread?  From googling, it didn't help as all I found was that Land Rovers have a number of different thread types.

I think some early steering wheels had a 1/4 BSF thread not sure if this would be the same as a UNF for tpi or not with no reference tables handy, to the best of my knowledge this was only early vehicles and quite rare.

The spacing on the pullers works for some Massey Ferguson tractors as well, guess they got part from the same place!.

On 12/5/2017 at 12:18 PM, western said:

which of these does your steering wheel look like ? 

http://www.web-rover.co.uk/articles-steeringwheels.html

I'm assuming it's type A the 4 spoke early version, as my '89 110CSW was, I used the M6 bolts to remove it to fit the type c wheel a few years ago. 

Hi Western - mine is a type A - 4 spoke, and yeah I have lots of metric bolts and they don't screw in past a turn.  Just sitting up the two bolts (metric and the one from further down the steering column (one of the pinch bolts on thesteering column to steering "rod" inside the engine bay) beside each shows that the threads are different - the steering column bolt I have is a finer thread than metric.

Edited by notoriousrab430

On 12/5/2017 at 1:32 AM, Maverik said:

show us what's on the bolt head, will help slightly, then just take to a fitting supplier, they should have a thread gauge to allow them to work out what it is.

Hi Maverik,

It looks like S and AA on the bolt head.  See picture.  This is the bolt which I found that fits the steering wheel.

2017-12-06 12.57.10.jpg