defender 200tdi engine mounts

Hi all , don't know if anybody is interested but Glencoyne engineering has got some of his engine mounts in stock on Ebay , 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Land-Rover-engine-mounts-pair-anti-vibration-2-5-200-300-TDi-Defender-Series/302617595751?_trksid=p2485497.m4902.l9144

and it looks like he will have a regular supply from the add . 

CHEERS iAN

Following from your earlier post about Bearmach engine mounts, on their web site I couldn't find two grades of rubber being used, the softer grade in their premium engine mounts, so I asked them and I've just received the email below from Bearmach.   Their statement implies that softer rubber mounts are available for all LR vehicles.

Sent: 08 February 2018 06:15
To: thornbma@hotmail.com
Subject: RE: Contact Form

Good Afternoon 

I can confirm that all of our Bearmach branded engine mountings are made with the softer rubber for reduced vibration 
https://nam03.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fbearmach.com%2Fengine-mounting-ntc9416&data=02%7C01%7C%7Cdbe86a7f02024c55d11608d56ef5fd21%7C84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C636536925150931315&sdata=rKTH9xSo872xoJys32VipG9Z%2BpHu4WSOtLEkOgRsWc4%3D&reserved=0 

Kindest Regards 

Harry Birnie
Web Sales Technical Support 

Tel: +44(0)29 20856550  Ext: 8106 
Head Office Unit 8 Pantglas Industrial Estate, Caerphilly CF83 8GE 

I’ve ended up with a pair of Glencoyne mounts - which would need cutting to fit, and I’ve used those on the gearbox. They actually look like the V8 mounts

I’ve then also got a pair of smaller Bearmach round ones - like the petrol series ones, they do fit, and are as nice and soft as the Glenn Coyne ones.

Unfortunately in addition I’ve a range of other mounts - of assorted brands, that are rock hard that I bought before I ended up with the ones listed above.

Feels like a bit of a lottery.

Glencoyne's supply is Bearmach, and they're not specially made.  I always refer people with retrofit Tdis, especially in Series vehicles, to him because he is very aware of the vibration issue and knew which individual specification of rubber mount from BM worked.  If I recall correctly, he said they make three different grades, and I don't know which one it is that he uses.  If you can find that out, then sourcing directly or from a local BM supplier would be fine.  But I don't think just any old BM mount can be relied on unless they narrowed their range to one grade, and that grade is the same as Richard used.

For what it's worth, I found Gen Parts mounts to be almost plastic like, and very hard, just like Britpart.

I never thought you had Mike , I thought Bearmach had got confused about which mounts you were on about :wacko: when you'd emailed them . As for how soft they are when I looked on there site I found 2 types OEM and the cheaper version, I've got the cheaper one's on my 110 and there not the softest , the info about the Glencoyne one's being  Bearmach I got of Nick's site above ( who I didn't know was Snagger on here when I found it :blush: ) I presumed it was the Oem ones , but  according to the Glencoyne Ebay page his original supplier ( Bearmach) has stopped making the mounts that he used to use and he has now sourced one to the same spec but from a new supplier that are as good as the other one's he used .

cheers Ian

An interesting bit of info.  Thank you, Ian.  Any idea who his new supplier might be?  The BM site only lists one item for Part No. NTC9416, and claims it is a BM part.  No mention of OEM or any other supplier, or any info about the component.  The info in my email, quoted above, looks as if it's all we're going to get.

Mike

They must have stopped doing the oem one Mike  , as for the glencoyne ones haven’t got a clue the info was off his eBay page. I’ve ordered some so will let you know what they’re like but probably won’t fit them till Easter when I do my transfer box swap, as I’ve finally been able to finish rebuilding the spare after sorting everything else .

Ian

This is all very interesting, and I do want to benefit from softer engine and geabox mounts.  

I'm still very much at the "shiny bits on the trailer" stage of my rebuild, but I do want to order the right parts first time, since costs are roughly double here with freight, duty and GST (goods and services tax)..  Hence, I'm still doing quite a lot of pre-rebuild research.

Mike  

Well my 4 new Glencoyne engine mounts arrived yesterday nd I have to say they are a hell of a lot softer than the bearmach ones I’ve got fitted don’t know whether you can see in the photo but you can actually bend the ribs .

D9381AFB-CBD3-4621-BC25-9AB7593BC07D.thumb.jpeg.19b3d89b59124ba825b3f1dff1a23e9a.jpegF5861692-B4E7-49D3-87CC-A68548F12CBC.thumb.jpeg.570477df8f9fad70830a106246d25844.jpeg

So I shall be fitting them Easter when I fit the rebuilt transfer box will post up what I think if anyone’s interested?

cheers Ian 

Certainly, please do. I've got genuine one on my 200Tdi all round and I can't say I've ever had a problem with vibrations once the engine's warmed up. The first 50 miles or so they are a bit rougher but after that they seem to 'settle' quite nicely.

But it would be useful to see what else is out there. In time my 110 will be using these ANR1808 mounts on the front for the engine with the soft 300Tdi-on type on the back for the gearboxes, so they may be useful there in keeping things in check.

The engine doesn’t vibrate to bad but the vibrations in the panels gets on my nerves sometimes which I think is caused by the mounts being too hard , the ones on at the moment are like bricks . And as they’ve now got a new supplier thought I’d ask the question as it seems to be a common problem.

Ian

2 hours ago, ianmayco68 said:

Well my 4 new Glencoyne engine mounts arrived yesterday nd I have to say they are a hell of a lot softer than the bearmach ones I’ve got fitted don’t know whether you can see in the photo but you can actually bend the ribs .

cheers Ian 

Much as I posted on my blog, referenced by several members here and with a similar photo, a few years ago.  The difference is enormous.

I did ask the reps at a few PU bush stands at Billing seven or eight years ago if they'd make engine mounts to cure this problem and they weren't remotely interested.  Pity.

It’s quite staggering the difference in the softness of the rubber, I don’t think you realise till you actually see it for yourself . It’s a shame the PU bush people don’t want to know but if Glencoynes sorted this supplier then we should be okay for a good while  :D .

I didn't on my 109, but I will do - I had to fit a 300 mount on the right hand side to clear the Defender axle diff pinion, and plan to fit another 300 mount on the left side at some point as they are even better than these Glencoyne sourced mounts, so I can use the two I already have on the gear box.  But changing just the engine mounts made an enormous difference.

Me just to be awkward ...as you do...prob wont help the majority

I run Discovery 1 brackets and mountings on mine courtesy of brackets from Dave Lang, but it was built with that in mind. very little vibration at all.

Edited by Les Brock

On 21/02/2018 at 1:26 PM, Les Brock said:

Me just to be awkward ...as you do...prob wont help the majority

I run Discovery 1 brackets and mountings on mine courtesy of brackets from Dave Lang, but it was built with that in mind. very little vibration at all.

That's fine for those with Discovery engines, but you can't fit the right hand mount to a Defender engine (or 12/19j) because of the fuel pump location.

Could you post up photos of the Discovery mounts anyway?  I have a Discovery engine and can't use a Defender rhs mount because of the axle conversion (front UJ fouls the Defender engine bracket when braking), and while I have a 300 mount fitted on the right, Discovery mounts might be another alternative!