Chang of engine on v5

dangerous doug

I’m not 100% sure what rationale they gave - I think they’ve said he can keep the reg, but the conversion is a radical alteration. 

Hes had a fall chassis, the original bulkhead rebuild and galv’d, paid £4K to have his engine rebuilt - £1500 for his gearbox and transfer box to be rebuilt, tons of genuine new parts and every fitting and nut and bolt restored - but the only genuine modifications are fitting a tilt, series doors, and different seats.

Its clearly nonsense - but what a world of trouble from just trying to do the right thing. 

• Sad 1

changing the body from hard to soft top shouldn't have any bearing on the VIN retention, that belongs to the chassis aka vehicle structure if the chassis has not been altered, the VIN stays as is. reckon he should challenge that poor decision,  

I think this is a classic case of giving the DVLA too much information and paying the ultimate price for that mistake. The DVLA don't know one end of a car from another so tell them you "converted" something and you're heading for a paperwork nightmare. It's not like there is any reason to tell them what kind of top you have fitted. I once had that discussion with an insurance broker when they told me they don't insure pickups. He completely failed to comprehend what I meant when I said it was only a pickup this week, next week it'll be a soft top if the weather's good and I might put the hard top back on in the autumn. For a "normal" car owner the idea that you can just unbolt one body and bolt on a different one in a couple of hours simply doesn't compute.

On the original subject, changing the engine capacity and serial number, even the fuel type has never caused me any issues. One engine I had used a replacement block from Land Rover that had never been stamped with a number. I made up my own number and stamped it into the block in the usual place and gave the DVLA the made up number which was accepted without any issue. I suspect that, had I included a full explanation of how that number had come about they'd have gone into full blown paperwork mode ! On the donor vehicle (that had had the replacement block fitted before I bought it) the engine serial number on the V5 was actually the LR order number on the invoice for the block !

I did send a receipt for the engine in with the TD5 conversion I did but no idea if it was needed or not.