Gearbox issues AGAIN

Ok so Iv been getting an odd knocking noise now and again as I let off the accelerator which I assume is the exhaust rattling as it sits just a few mm from the front of the bellhousing then today on my way home from Edinburgh she was struggling to pull uphill and started filling the cab with smoke and stunk of clutch. The clutch doesn’t appear to slip and the box is super smooth. At the time she was rollin coal but just didn’t wanna pull. Now I’m lost for ideas as to what could be the problem. Iv been out since getting home and there’s a tiny drop of oil lying directly below the wading plug but can’t see anything else outa place

Handbrake sticking partially on?

[I had this happen ages ago on a Defender, after the engine-to-chassis earth connection had been wonky for a while: the starter current had been earthing back to the battery-box via the handbrake cable, partly melting the nylon sheathing over the inner, and causing it to bind so the h/brake didn't fully release. Burned brake linings smell the same as clutch ones.]

Would an incorrectly adjusted master cylinder be an option? Been one o them days where iv had way too much time on my hands at work so been trawling the web. I thought earlier that on my way to work last Monday morning that when I pressed the clutch it was as if she kept trying to drive so I googled some stuff and that was one option I found. As if the pressure in the hydraulic system wouldn’t let it fully disengage. 

6 hours ago, Bowie69 said:

Disintegrated clutch plate...

Would I still be able to drive it home? Done 40ml since it happened.

7 hours ago, Tanuki said:

Handbrake sticking partially on?

[I had this happen ages ago on a Defender, after the engine-to-chassis earth connection had been wonky for a while: the starter current had been earthing back to the battery-box via the handbrake cable, partly melting the nylon sheathing over the inner, and causing it to bind so the h/brake didn't fully release. Burned brake linings smell the same as clutch ones.]

Handbrake seems ok. It’s the fact the clutch has been very spongy and now bites as soon as ye lift yer foot that steers me to clutch system related. 

11 hours ago, Eightpot said:

Turbo actuator hose come loose? 

Systems say more like clutch related

9 hours ago, western said:

dead slave cylinder, what does the dripping oil feel & smell like ? 

Just had new slave as the box went back in 2 weeks ago but the lad that done it said it wouldn’t fit with the rubber seal on the end so removed it and fitted without. Need to get under when I get home and try and get a sample o the oil to figure it out. 

Ok so been thinkin way too much and remembered a few things. Mechanic gave me the little copper bushing back that goes in the rear of the crank saying it doesn’t need to be fitted then I remembered the shim from the slave was lying in the footwell too. Gona take her off the road for a month or 2 whilst I remove the bulkhead for repairs and finish painting her so will pull out the box then and sort the job myself. Install bushing, replace shim, fit new slave including the rubber cap, fit a staple to the arm/release bearing as I found that in the footwell too, adjust master cylinder push rod, replace the little hard pipe between slave and flexi that appears to leak slightly. At the moment it’s going fine as my old man’s been running around in it this week. Says it’s very smooth with the replacement box and slick shift so at least something’s gone well. 

To be honest I’d usually do it myself but when it first started it was mid harvest so I had literally no time so got a lad I went to school many moons ago to tackle it. Kinda regretting it now. Goes in then a month or so later it finally gets done and comes with a silly bill.