Defender V8 conversion

Hi Guys,

Whilst my 200 Tdi 110 is in bits, I've been considering a V8 conversion. I know there are lots of options, but would I be right in saying that the most straight forward would be to find a Disco V8 and R380 gearbox, and fit these as a unit? I know that the gear selector will need to be swapped for a Defender unit, but in theory it should be a relatively straight forward conversion?

Will the bulkhead need to be modified?

Any guidance or input gratefully received...

6 hours ago, miketomcat said:

I can't help much but I do know you will need from a 300 or td5 both floor pans, tunnel and bulkhead flange. You will need to modify or replace your seat box and engine/gearbox mounts.

Mike

I used a disco r380 gearbox with my lt77 floor....it’s tight but fits

start to finish build thread 200tdi to 3.9v8

P38 will have the wrong/weird P38-specific clutch, so yeah Disco 2 for the 4.0 would be my vote, later Thor lumps with the bunch-of-bananas plenum gain you 20 torques at the low end but cost you minor plumbing wrinkles.

I'd vote 4.6 all day long but I'm biased.

Make sure you get the PAS pipe from the pump on the 4.0 / 4.6 to make your life easier.

• Like 1

Modify the transmission tunnel to take the disco gear stick ,you lose the middle seat but gain a nicer more positive (err a bit more positive anyway ) gear change and lose the big pudding bowl stirrer . I fitted a 200 tdi and lt77 from a disco into my 110 , used the disco handbrake as well , doesn’t take much to make it fit and look nice ,

James