Rear diff

Hi all , a while ago I posted up about a clunk when pulling away , on advice from on here I checked all the usual culprits ujs , drive flanges and all were ok and I got it down to slop in the rear diff which is quite a bit there’s 30mm travel before it engages in the gears internally and it’s quite easy to turn . It’s a 110 200tdi Salisbury axle by the way , so Easter I’m planning a transfer box swap and fitting glencoyne engine mounts as I’m on a weeks holiday and was wondering while I’ve got it apart and I don’t need it for a week is there any checks I can do to find were the slop is and things I can do to reduce it or parts that I can replace to help , the slop appears in the front drive flange could it be wear on the internal splines on this is it worth replacing it  . Any advice would be much appreciated.

cheers Ian 

No Ross haven’t tried anything other than eliminating the drive flanges and ujs,  thought as I’d got a week off I’d look into what’s causing the clunk as the weathers normally pants Easter anyway :D ,and thought I’d get a heads up on what to check and any parts I could buy before hand to make life easier . I gather that’s a diff out job to check crown wheel and pinion wear ? Is that easy for a novice like me to check ?

cheers Ian 

Edited by ianmayco68

Check the half shaft drive flanges first I would say, more common for wear there, than at the crown wheel and pinion for a Salisbury axle.

A diff turns over very easily so not sure you would be able to detect it against just the drag from the pinion bearings.

Drive flanges would definitely be a first check, but I think Ian has checked them. Might still be worth double checking them. Pull the flanges off and shafts out a bit so you can feel for and play between the two.

If the gears are worn you'll feel slack between them when you rock the pinion back and forth.

Already checked the drive flanges Bowie69 there’s no play in them at all , the slop is at the axle output flange you can turn the  propshaft about 30mm before it engages the gears inside the diff and it’s a loose movement as well .

cheers Ian 

Hi all , as I was taking the prop off and I fancy going fishing easter thought I'd bring the transfer box swap forward and do the mounts as well , so with the weather as it is finally got myself motivated this morning bout 11 took the prop off and the rear diff feels fine that only moves about 10 mm but does clunk when it reaches the end of its travel  ,so it  turns out the play was in the transfer box good call Ross . Its funny how the diff feels more controlled without the prop on and attached to the transfer box, anyway will fit the new box on tomorrow and hopefully all will be well still plan on checking the rear diff as advised above before I refit the rear prop just to make sure but hopefully I've found the culprit .

cheers Ian

There was a little bit of play in one so I've changed that today , trans box all fitted then tried to fit my x-eng disc hand brake couldn't fathom it out destructions have got really mucky so they weren't any help , got it on but disc doesn't sit square so off to the tech archive think I saw a write up in there , then just the glencoyne engine mounts to fit .

29 minutes ago, ianmayco68 said:

There was a little bit of play in one so I've changed that today , trans box all fitted then tried to fit my x-eng disc hand brake couldn't fathom it out destructions have got really mucky so they weren't any help , got it on but disc doesn't sit square so off to the tech archive think I saw a write up in there , then just the glencoyne engine mounts to fit .

that'll be my post you saw then