2.5d to 2.8d?

ACR do a conversion for the 2.5 petrol to 2.8. Is it possible to convert the 2.5 Diesel to 2.8?

ACR also do a performance head. Could you do the same mods to a diesel head?

Am I right that when the Army rally team raced 90s with N/A Diesel engine, that they had nodded heads?

This is all for information and conversation.

Paul

I can’t see why not. But tbh I’d have to ask why. I know there is no replacement for displacement. But the Nad makes so little power anyway a .3 litre increase in displacement isn’t going to offer much other than a lighter wallet. 

At a guess the displacement increase would buy you maybe 8hp. 

The army team used a Turner Engineering gas flowed head.  It might be useful for a couple of hp, but probably just gives a slightly better torque curve.  Same with increasing the size to 2.8 I would think, I certainly wouldn't waste much money finding out. 

The same gains could probably be got by setting up the diesel timing accurately. making sure the compression is to specification, increase the exhaust/air intake efficiency, blueprint the cylinder head ports and manifold, jettison some weight (spare wheel/tools/tow bar/winch bumper/rock sliders/under body guards/half empty gallon oil bottles/6 ton trolley jack), use road tyres rather than knobbly ones and put a couple extra PSI in.

A well set up 2.5d can be surprisingly spritely in a soft top 90.

I’m just curious about it. I’m about to buy a 1990 90 with a 19j fitted and I’ve heard about the hassle that the turbo can cause, even in the later ‘improved’ 19j. I was just wondering what could be done, if I removed the turbo.

and I can’t get a 200tdi yet, as I have to wait for 11 points to come off my licence before I can get a bit more power, so the 19j is staying in the Rover for at least 4 years. I just wondered if there was a way of improving things.

9 hours ago, Pappa Smurf said:

I’m just curious about it. I’m about to buy a 1990 90 with a 19j fitted and I’ve heard about the hassle that the turbo can cause, even in the later ‘improved’ 19j. I was just wondering what could be done, if I removed the turbo.

and I can’t get a 200tdi yet, as I have to wait for 11 points to come off my licence before I can get a bit more power, so the 19j is staying in the Rover for at least 4 years. I just wondered if there was a way of improving things.

I don’t really get the internet hate on the TD engines tbh. My uncle has two of them. One on 250,000 - 280,000 miles and the other nearer the 200,000 mark. Neither one has had any major engine issues. 

I don’t know the specs well enough but is the Nad and TD the same compression ratio? If not. Then a TD with the turbo removed is likely to perform worse than a normal Nad. 

Not sure I understand the reference to Tdi and 11 points. But willing to consider displacement increases and performance cylinder heads???

On 28/04/2018 at 10:28 PM, Chicken Drumstick said:

I don’t really get the internet hate on the TD engines tbh. My uncle has two of them. One on 250,000 - 280,000 miles and the other nearer the 200,000 mark. Neither one has had any major engine issues. 

I don’t know the specs well enough but is the Nad and TD the same compression ratio? If not. Then a TD with the turbo removed is likely to perform worse than a normal Nad. 

Not sure I understand the reference to Tdi and 11 points. But willing to consider displacement increases and performance cylinder heads???

I'm not sure, but I think the 19J had 21:1 CR.  The 12J (14 and 15 too) have 23:1.  Tdis have 19:1.

I bought two 19Js for my 109.  Both had shattered pistons and badly cracked heads.  I'm in the "19J is a bag of carp" camp.