1980 RR Chassis no. location?

Blanco

Just going through the hoops to get my UK sourced 1980 3 door registered here in Ireland which means uncovering the stamped chassis number. The favourite location seems to be the RH front chassis leg, but I have thoroughly cleaned the carp and paint off and there is nothing there, nor any sign that there ever was . Neither is there any sign that the area has ever been messed with or welded.

I have come across references to chassis numbers being elsewhere on early Range Rovers but has anyone any evidence of this? I have also come across a comment from someone who apparently has broken a number of vehicles and never seen one, is it really possible that BL flouted the rules to that extent? Or is it just that the chassis was replaced and not correctly marked I wonder?

It is, but as that is riveted on (albeit with the original looking rivets) and therefore subject to the possibility of being swopped (I suppose), they are required to verify the stamped number on the chassis, so I have it up on stands at the moment brushing likely spots looking for it.

I have a 79 Rangie and haven't found anything stamped into the chassis. 

Being an 80, it may not have a VIN number, just a shorter chassis number.  

The other thing is it may just be very feint now - I tried to find one on a 93 defender the other day and it was so shallow that the bit of chassis rust had all but erased it.  Had to take a rubbing to make anything out. 

"some say" they can be on passenger side rear chassis leg, but as above, you may not find anything at all.

My Morris 1000 isn't stamped anywhere but a small tag on the bulkhead, held on by factory self tappers(!).

The 'VIN' as such is only 14 characters, it is missing the 'SAL...' at the beginning to make the full 17 character modern VIN. Which I think is correct for the year. It is tough looking for something when you aren't sure how big, how long etc. (or where!)

I will try the paint trick, on the front leg, but I don't think there anything there, it doesn't look as if it has had rust at that point, too much underseal.

Found this info on -http://www.lrfaq.org/FAQ.3.Chassis_Numbers.html ---------

Range Rovers:

Found in the behind Rover's left front corner of the windshield
Stamped on the right hand side chassis member forward of the front spring mounting turret
RANGE ROVER Classic with Vogue body (not sure about NAS County)  has chassis number stamped in rear/passenger cross member (in front of rear wheel) 

I'll check the outrigger, thanks.  I had already found the post about the RR Vogue, and looked at the cross member, just in case my was destined to be a Vogue and turned into a base model instead! Thanks for the suggestions.......... still looking.