Single DIN radio/stereo mount for pre 1998 defender (AWR2277LOY) - Is it possible!??

OK so I used to have a Mobile-Storage-Systems centre storage box between driver and passenger seat which housed my stereo. I have now done away with the stereo holding part and got a second hand LR dashboard single DIN mount  (AWR2277LOY) which is shown in picture below - I assumed this would be a simple slot in, connect wires and go job!

20180529_194720.thumb.jpg.5ccf3d66e947213b73fb2322004423dd.jpg

1. The bleddy DIN hole is not cut right - it's too small so I have had to cut it wider with a Stanley so the stereo mounting/locking bracket can fit in
  2. More annoyingly though, with front and rear speaker cables (Good quality so wider than normal LR wires), a boosted DAB and FM aerial (i.e. two separate antenna cables and an additional +12V supply wire) and the normal power ISO connector, I just don't think there is simply enough room for it all to fit. With serious force I can kind of get it all down and in but the wires are then so squished and crushed I am not very happy with it as a long term solution.

I'm now considering cutting all of the ISO connectors off and shortening all the remaining wires as much as possible and hard soldering them but even then it will be a squeeze I'm sure. Anyone faced this with this mount? And if so, come up with a solution that is tidy and not crushing wires?

Yes I have one like that but the head unit is very short and there's room for the ISO connector inside that mounting. It is only FM, with AUX in and USB though, no DAB so maybe that's why it is a shorty.

27 minutes ago, Peaklander said:

Yes I have one like that but the head unit is very short and there's room for the ISO connector inside that mounting. It is only FM, with AUX in and USB though, no DAB so maybe that's why it is a shorty.

I just assumed any head unit would fit in. Mine looks the same length as old ones I used to have. In retrospect had I known this before I purchased the stereo I'd have deliberately looked for one with a shorter head unit. Ho hum.....I think I'm just gonna have to cram them in there or not use the head unit mounting bracket and just let it sit loose in the gap protruding out an inch or so

1 minute ago, pat_pending said:

You can get spacers  to move the head unit further  out. I think Mud uk used to  do them.

Just google "single din spacer".

Thanks - a simple solution!

1 minute ago, Retroanaconda said:

It’s tight for sure. I have some of the wiring ‘bulk’ housed in the cover that sits behind the centre panel where you have your switches. 

It’s a bloody faff to remove/refit.

I was considering this myself but I have already wired my winch controller and the new heated front and rear screens into the front panel so the little cover behind is already jam loaded 

(PS thanks for your great write up on installing a TD5 instrument panel into a 300TDI that Landroversforever and Ralph pointed me too!)

• Like 1

I bought a "mechless" (no CD/DVD drive) head unit from eBay for about £15 (yes, brand new, from china) which is shorter than most and can be shortened to about 50mm deep if you are willing to void the (non-existent) warranty by opening it. Does AM/FM/USB/SD/Aux and possibly bluetooth. Not going to win any prizes for quality but on the move in a Defender you don't really notice.

DAB ones are more of a challenge as there's no cheap ones and many require external DAB receivers.

Front panel is tacky as hell but it fits behind the dash lip with room to spare:

IMG_3863.JPG

• 3 weeks later...
On 30/05/2018 at 1:36 PM, FridgeFreezer said:

I bought a "mechless" (no CD/DVD drive) head unit from eBay for about £15 (yes, brand new, from china) which is shorter than most and can be shortened to about 50mm deep if you are willing to void the (non-existent) warranty by opening it. Does AM/FM/USB/SD/Aux and possibly bluetooth. Not going to win any prizes for quality but on the move in a Defender you don't really notice.

DAB ones are more of a challenge as there's no cheap ones and many require external DAB receivers.

Front panel is tacky as hell but it fits behind the dash lip with room to spare:

IMG_3863.JPG

I like your style! I agree on most points although I wanted DAB