Planning to fit intermittent windscreen wash wipe & I have a few (easy) questions

Planning to fit the variable speed intermittent wash wipe upgrade / modification to my 90, following the useful information in these threads:

https://forums.lr4x4.com/topic/927-adding-intermittent-front-washwipe-to-older-9011/

https://forums.lr4x4.com/topic/20391-variable-intermittent-wipers/

At the  moment the wash / wipe stalk on my ex-military 90 appears to have:

push the button on the end: washers spray & give 4  wipes of the screen

up 1: slow

up 2: fast

If I press it down it does nothing at all, except returns to  the off position  - what is it supposed to do? 

Will I need to replace the stalk as part of the intermittent wash wipe upgrade? (I  know I need  the Autosparks loom & the relay)

When the intermittent system is installed what position on the wash wipe stalk is intermittent supposed to be at?

Is there a facility to just do a single 'one  off' wipe? - this is what I thought pushing my stalk should be doing

Ta, Paul

Yes Paul, you'll need the later switch. The intermittent position is one click down.

In my experience not all variable intermittent relays give the flick wipe on a quick press of the switch end but certainly the vw 99 ones do. It's not standard on the LR relays.

HTH

Mo

The standard Land Rover intermittent setup has a 'flick wipe' functionality, but it's not as simple as more modern setups.

Pushing the stalk up slight towards the 'normal' running setting it will trigger the wipe before it reaches the point where it latches, this gives a single wipe. It sounds fiddly but once you get the knack it's quite easy.

• 1 year later...

Holy thread revival! 

After something of a hiatus I am finally getting round to undertaking the variable intermittent wiper mod; my hand was forced when my old wash wipe stalk snapped - typically in the rain. Thank goodness for a RainX treated screen. 

Anyways, I took ianmayco68 up on his offer of the Autosparks intermittent wash wipe loom. I have the later PRC7370 wash wipe switch as well as the '99' relay. 

With respect to the Autosparks loom; there are two moulded plugs - one clearly attaches to the column switch but I am a bit confused as to where the other one physically plugs into...? I'm guessing at the wiper motor? Mine is a 1986 ex-military 90. I have attached a few pictures to try and show the plug I am referring to. It has 5 wires, female connector, wire colours: green, red, blue with green tracer, brown with green tracer & green with black tracer.

Can anyone shed any light on this or point me in the right direction? My intention was to coil up the excess and secure the relay in the space behind the instruments to avoid having to feed it down to the space behind the fuse box - it seems a bit tight to try and get it down there!

Apologies if this is a really basic question but I'd appreciate hearing some superior knowledge to mine.

Thanks in advance, Paul 

IMG_4627.JPG

IMG_4629.JPG

IMG_4630.JPG

IMG_4631.JPG

1 hour ago, Northern Paul said:

Holy thread revival! 

After something of a hiatus I am finally getting round to undertaking the variable intermittent wiper mod; my hand was forced when my old wash wipe stalk snapped - typically in the rain. Thank goodness for a RainX treated screen. 

Anyways, I took ianmayco68 up on his offer of the Autosparks intermittent wash wipe loom. I have the later PRC7370 wash wipe switch as well as the '99' relay. 

With respect to the Autosparks loom; there are two moulded plugs - one clearly attaches to the column switch but I am a bit confused as to where the other one physically plugs into...? I'm guessing at the wiper motor? Mine is a 1986 ex-military 90. I have attached a few pictures to try and show the plug I am referring to. It has 5 wires, female connector, wire colours: green, red, blue with green tracer, brown with green tracer & green with black tracer.

Can anyone shed any light on this or point me in the right direction? My intention was to coil up the excess and secure the relay in the space behind the instruments to avoid having to feed it down to the space behind the fuse box - it seems a bit tight to try and get it down there!

Apologies if this is a really basic question but I'd appreciate hearing some superior knowledge to mine.

Thanks in advance, Paul 

IMG_4627.JPG

IMG_4629.JPG

IMG_4630.JPG

IMG_4631.JPG

Where you split the stalk connector to remove the old stalk, the autosparks loom fits between the 2 connectors with the relay socket going down to the fusebox & clipping to forward face of the metal panel with the other relays  as in my tech archive post that you linked to ------

with the relay and it's socket behind the fuse box, the 2 legs of the harness go up the tunnel, where all the other cables go, (may need a 'fishing rod' or string to pull them up through here) to the back of the radio\rear wiper switch, from here they travel along to the front wiper stalk inside the steering column cover,remove this cover for access, inside here disconnect the front wiper stalk connectors, reconnect these 2 to the new harness, make sure everything is safe, switch on the ignition and test the new system, if all OK, refit the previously removed covers\ fusebox. 

• Like 1