wiper wheel box

Hi all , bit of a strange one , some of you might have seen my dash project post in the fabrication section in which for part of it I'm modding the wipers using a disco 1 set up . So has any of you kind gentlemen got an old knackered defender wheel box lying around they don't want that I can cut up to see how they go together before I shell out mega money on a new set to do the job , I'll pay the postage , also which would be better the newer td5 style with the nut or the older style ?

cheers Ian

Which bit of the wheel box - the little bits that clamp to the spindle and take the cable drive? I don't think I threw out the knackered ones when I replaced them on my 300 but the challenge will be finding them... It's only a small shed but it's got a lot of stuff. But I do need to clear it out because I've just done a deal on a donkey saw and 3 Elliott pillar drills on a T-slot table so need to find some space for them... :blush:

Cheers Ed , Sounds a bit like everybody’s shed that owns a Land Rover :D . This bit if possible Ed 

801D89F9-AD70-4A09-859E-9DD1DB83BF43.jpeg.70de803354da73f8fd576db5dc1bca25.jpeg

I need to cut it apart as a test one , I need the spindle and the bit that goes through the bulkhead as I need to weld it to the disco operating rods . If you could find one it would be much appreciated as they’re minimum £15 each so would rather cut a knackered one up before letting myself loose on a good one.

cheers Ian 

I think they’re both the same only difference is on the later type the wiper arm has a nut to hold it on , could I have them please Pete , I want to cut them up to see how best to do it for welding them to the disco arms . Practice on them then buy some new ones . 

Cheers Ian 

The later ones are a different type, they're a sort of squared-off oval shape where they go through the bulkhead. And they mount the other way up, not that that matters for your purposes.

You'll need the type to match the age of the bulkhead you are using. Pre-2002 the older type, after 2002 the newer.

Thanks all the help is much appreciated , cheers James it’s a 300 bulkhead so the older ones it is although I do know a man with a lathe so if I take one apart and can come up with something better I might get him to knock it up , which is another option .Cheers Ross have you got any swivel retaining plates for a 200 tdi in stock as I’d like a set , if so you could pop the wheel boxes in with them and I’ll paypal you the money ? Cheers Pete will let you know .

• Like 1

I think they changed when the TD5 changed dash configuration, so around 2002.  The later version have a bigger gear wheel and wider shaft with flats, so will fit the earlier bulkheads if you file the holes out to suit.  I suppose the early type will fit the new bulkheads too, if you use washers over the larger holes, but they're more likely to have movement in the mounting.  The Britannica Restorations youtube channel has a video about it.

10 hours ago, ianmayco68 said:

Thanks all the help is much appreciated , cheers James it’s a 300 bulkhead so the older ones it is although I do know a man with a lathe so if I take one apart and can come up with something better I might get him to knock it up , which is another option .Cheers Ross have you got any swivel retaining plates for a 200 tdi in stock as I’d like a set , if so you could pop the wheel boxes in with them and I’ll paypal you the money ? Cheers Pete will let you know .

I'll send you a PM Ian.