110 front axle springs - which one where?

Hi, good afternoon.  Question re front axle springs on a 110 (1984).  I have inherited LR springs for the front axle (look to have been fitted 5 to 8 years ago with when new bulkhead etc. was fitted). They are standard length and look to be standard load. The longer one (by 10mm) is banded with white paint, the shorter with yellow banding.

I've checked the archives etc. but could someone tell me which one is driver side please?

Huge thanks again chaps.

8 minutes ago, Red90 said:

Long ones on the left side to counteract the offset position of the engine.

I'm going to throw a spanner in the works here and say the long ones are on the driver's side (right hand side). Could be a UK/Canada difference though? Also, i could be totally wrong!

I have a rhd vehicle and the white spring is on the right (driver) and yellow on the left. The reason for my decision is in my thread - page 5

However Red’s comment has me thinking, as the engine position doesn’t move rhd to lhd. 

Edited by Peaklander
Added link

If you put the longer spring on the right, you will have a tilted truck.  The engine and gearbox are offset to the left.  If you are heavier than the engine and don't have passengers, you might offset the tilt......  IMO, a better solution for a fat owner with a RHD truck is to use the same springs on both sides.  Going long on the right is way too much.

56 minutes ago, neil110 said:

In the parts list the springs are described as driver side and passenger side

Yes, I know.....  But if you follow that advice on a RHD, you will have a bad tilt.  RHD Defenders are best with even springs side to side.  LHD need different springs as they are more unbalanced. as everything is on the left.

It is worth noting that in recent years Land Rover have stopped doing handed springs for the rear of the vehicle. Yet they have retained handed front springs.

Whilst the engine and gearbox are offset to the left, the bulk of the transfer box and prop shafts are on the right hand side.

Edited by neil110