Air Portable Utility 1/2t S3

Maverik

So I've kinda adopted a short term project, she's in not bad shape from the off but she has been abused so needs tidying up, so mechanical then body work fettle get a new hood sorted for her, I've never worked on anything order than 86 so this is somewhat new.

Plan is to revert her back to military spec or as close as practical, lots of TLC where the previous owner has abused, I've applied for the vehicle service record from the RLCM be interested to see where she's been, tips tricks and suggestions always welcome... presently just trying to get her started... wish it was a diesel...

Mav

20190310_100035.thumb.jpg.1f66f4d6e1a1c518ef40b660ab5dc0f9.jpg

• Like 1

I totally agree with that sentiment Bowie69 had my S3 Lightweight for 30 odd years and it will take me to my final resting place also have a 2a Lightweight that I started and never completed will be a nice retirement project eventually Enjoy it Maverick they become addictive.

Regards Stephen

On 3/13/2019 at 11:08 AM, Maverik said:

So I've kinda adopted a short term project, she's in not bad shape from the off but she has been abused so needs tidying up, so mechanical then body work fettle get a new hood sorted for her, I've never worked on anything order than 86 so this is somewhat new.

I'd be tempted to leave the dents & dings, far more true to life than the over-restored stuff and looks better IMHO - doubly so if it's ex-MOD.

Totally agree, i was just looking at the body actually will makes some efforts to remove the layers of bronze green, then she'll get rubbed down and painted olive or olive and black there's a few dents here and there I'll be straightening out to square her up a bit but thats about it, the rear tub inside will need the most work.

In other news i just got her running. New plugs leads and distributor and she fired up on the first turn, well chuffed, and coincidently I'm no longer a series truck driver virgin, took it for a spin to check the transmission, all good except stopping is interesting with only one wheel... great fun

Now I get why peoples like series trucks 😁

• Like 3

So a bit of progress - trial fitting after repairs, oh I bought a new to me sewing machine that proved up to the job. 

The intermediate hoop I had found had been cut down so I', just making up a new one then the hood will be installed permanently.

thumbnail_20190325_195241.jpg.724937f26b6cc8c23537b26016512f21.jpg

thumbnail_20190325_195250.jpg.e37bb5b3dbeee50c69c9ed618fbc1c91.jpg

thumbnail_20190325_092938.thumb.jpg.260fd67e19fba07e399627389602c86a.jpg

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Small steps - "new" bulkhead top blasted and dropped off at the galvanisers, old top stripped off and is quite a mess, - although the top of the lower bulkhead looks to be decent condition - when I get around to it I'll repair the top and sell it on.

20190411_102829.jpg

20190411_172302.jpg

20190411_172327.jpg

20190411_174415.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...