Best horn replacement

On 12/16/2019 at 8:56 PM, FridgeFreezer said:

I have this exact thing. It makes a truly comical cartoon AROOOOOOOOGA sound. It gets wired into somebody's landy when they're not looking occasionally, just for tits and pickles. 

On 12/17/2019 at 7:14 PM, ThreePointFive said:

It shames me to admit that I find this idea so good I will be buying one. I think it encourages non-aggressive horn-age and will generally brighten the lives of those that hear it.

You won't regret it. 

I'm avoiding anything comical/novelty on the car (stickers, bright paint, faux-off road items etc) so the idea of a ridiculous horn (that no one will see) on an otherwise straight-faced car appeals even more.

Especially as you can't really 'tell someone off' for the quality of their driving (as I am sure we are all tempted to do occasionally) if you'll sound ridiculous doing it, just accept it and get on with your day.

Are these a legit horn for the purposes of MOTs?

Edited by ThreePointFive

4 minutes ago, lo-fi said:

Technically, gongs, bells, sirens or multi tone things are failable. I think you'd get away with the klaxon. 

https://www.motester.co.uk/mot-test-of-horn/

Though there is a "harsh or grating" rule, which is rather subjective.

It says anything more than one tone, but many of us have a two tone horn fitted. I assume it means one tone followed by another rather than together. 

I was looking for a new horn for the Ibex last year - 15 years of mud and water finally killed the airhorn.  I looked at the Stebel Nautilus as that seems the common choice, but found a lot of online comments about unreliability. Might be due to fake sales from the far east, don't know, but it put me off trying one.

Hella has website listing the horns they make https://www.hella.com/MicroSite/horns/en/index.html (with sounds for annoying your work colleagues!). It looks like the Red B133 is the loudest they make, but the second loudest was much cheaper (and Yellow :P) so I bought those. In fact, I got a second set in ready for 2Bex.

2 hours ago, monkie said:

It says anything more than one tone, but many of us have a two tone horn fitted. I assume it means one tone followed by another rather than together. 

I think that is the intention - simultaneous two-tone is better for those who have hearing loss or for penetrating noise insulation, where a single frequency may be better suppressed, so is safer, but they clearly don’t want musical horns or anything that could be mistaken for emergency services two-tones.