anyone with an h14 pto winch?

Merry xmas (+2)!

Right, as some of you probably know, I am in process of fitting a Superwinch h14 pto driven winch on my 110 300tdi (1996). Can I ask anyone who has one a few questions?????? pleeaasse!

1) so far have only fitted pto unit - is it normal for it to whine a bit on overrun? And how do I work out exactly to cut hole for selection lever. Does anyone have any measurements etc, or is it a case of suck it and see? And how have people fitted said lever? Gaiter like gearstick, or what?

2) Winch bumper has 12mm mounting holes. Original bolts are m10, so I have obtained some m12 ones. But what do I do about the captive nuts - does anyone know where I can get them? I am trying to get an idea before removing standard bumper etc, if I can!

3) and finally........(for now!), I think I got all the bits - came off a td5. Pto fits, drive shaft fits inc it's bracket, but between the winch itself and the driveshaft there is another uj on a mount with bearing etc, with 2 oblong holes in it. The mounting plate, when connected to driveshaft, is across the vehicle, on a left - right plane, in front of the sump, but what do I mount it to, or am I missing another bracket? Also does anyone know the size of the bolts required (whilst I am on here) for the brackets? - one mounts at the bottom of the gearbox into 2 holes already there.

Thanks guys, and sorry to be a pain!

Happy new year

James

1) so far have only fitted pto unit - is it normal for it to whine a bit on overrun? And how do I work out exactly to cut hole for selection lever. Does anyone have any measurements etc, or is it a case of suck it and see? And how have people fitted said lever? Gaiter like gearstick, or what?

Erm,

No

Are you sure you have is disenegaged - it will fair whine if its enaged while you drive, but disenegaged it has nothing to do with the rest of the LT230, so the answetr is no !

2) Winch bumper has 12mm mounting holes. Original bolts are m10, so I have obtained some m12 ones. But what do I do about the captive nuts - does anyone know where I can get them? I am trying to get an idea before removing standard bumper etc, if I can!

Cap[tive nuts are a plate drilled and tapped, with luck, swearing, selotape etc you CAN get 12mm Nylocs in there and nipped up, but not a "Favourite Job" shall we say ?

3) and finally........(for now!), I think I got all the bits - came off a td5. Pto fits, drive shaft fits inc it's bracket, but between the winch itself and the driveshaft there is another uj on a mount with bearing etc, with 2 oblong holes in it. The mounting plate, when connected to driveshaft, is across the vehicle, on a left - right plane, in front of the sump, but what do I mount it to, or am I missing another bracket? Also does anyone know the size of the bolts required (whilst I am on here) for the brackets? - one mounts at the bottom of the gearbox into 2 holes already there.

There are lots and lots and lots and lots of variants, it highly likel;y that you have something thats not 100% coreect for you LR.......just fab up mounts and brackets to suit, try to keep the rods as far away from the ground as poss, yes you can buy all the bits but they are frighteneninglylyly £££ from Superwinch and I mean seriously scarey price !

HTH

Nige

Edited by western
to make more sense

Thanks Nige. Will have a play with making a mount etc and bumper.

Re pto, it is disengaged! If I have transfer box in neutral, ie, truck not driving, but pto is, no whining noise. but if I re-engage drive to truck, whether pto is running or not, it whines! I will have a look at it again! The kit came with a spacer that was thicker than the one on the original pto cover. Hmmmm.

Was it you that mentioned on an earlier posting that you have the manual somewhere? If so, any chance I can get a copy?

Also, thinking about catching the pto on rocks etc, it looks like a pita to rotate the pto. Does anyone have any plans/sketches for a guard? Again a few people have mentioned them before.

Cheers

James

Erm,

No

Are you sure you have is disenegaged - it will fair whine if its enaged while you drive, but disenegaged it has nothing to do with the rest of the LT230, so the answetr is no !

Cap[tive nuts are a plate drilled and tapped, with luck, swearing, selotape etc you CAN get 12mm Nylocs in there and nipped up, but not a "Favourite Job" shall we say ?

There are lots and lots and lots and lots of variants, it highly likel;y that you have something thats not 100% coreect for you LR.......just fab up mounts and brackets to suit, try to keep the rods as far away from the ground as poss, yes you can buy all the bits but they are frighteneninglylyly £££ from Superwinch and I mean seriously scarey price !

HTH

Nige

Thanks Nige. Will have a play with making a mount etc and bumper.

Re pto, it is disengaged! If I have transfer box in neutral, ie, truck not driving, but pto is, no whining noise. but if I re-engage drive to truck, whether pto is running or not, it whines! I will have a look at it again! The kit came with a spacer that was thicker than the one on the original pto cover. Hmmmm.

Was it you that mentioned on an earlier posting that you have the manual somewhere? If so, any chance I can get a copy?

Also, thinking about catching the pto on rocks etc, it looks like a pita to rotate the pto. Does anyone have any plans/sketches for a guard? Again a few people have mentioned them before.

Cheers

James

Someone on here if not more than one person has rotated the PTO drop box so it doesn't hang so low prehaps worth asking on international forum.

Matt

H14W Hydro Manual - Right winch, wrong PTO

H14W PTO Install thread, search is a wonderful thing!

Thread on another forum

From the thread above the very useful tech info:

Drive shaft bearings - I fitted RHP sealed bearings code '1020-3/4G'

Drive shaft UJ's - GU 350 universal joint. Think that these come from the GKN '505' range. I found these at ~£16 each including postage.

H14W Hydro Manual - Right winch, wrong PTO

H14W PTO Install thread, search is a wonderful thing!

Thread on another forum

From the thread above the very useful tech info:

Drive shaft bearings - I fitted RHP sealed bearings code '1020-3/4G'

Drive shaft UJ's - GU 350 universal joint. Think that these come from the GKN '505' range. I found these at ~£16 each including postage.

Cheers Jon

Had found the others that that one on difflock is new to me. Luckilly mine is easier than that - just one bracket and a protective guard to make!

Thanks

James

1) so far have only fitted pto unit - is it normal for it to whine a bit on overrun?

james,

I take it you have toped up the oil in the T case ? also i hope you didnt use that input gear that it came with as those bearings look well pass it :unsure:

laters

have good new year

I have rotated the PTO on mine in the past.

Basically fitted as standard it hangs down and can be smashed off when off roading etc.

It really is not that hard to do.

1. Mark on the base of the Tbox where a easy to see bolt hole centre is

2. Have just the PTO (rods d=removed and place into the back of the TBox. - no bolts

3. Then twist it around, see how high up you can get it out of the way - make sure that the chosen tweak gives say 1 - 1.5 inch cleance between the chassis rail and PTO

4. Mark the PTO with maerker pen to line up with the Tbox mark. have a good looky and make sure that the rods will clear - note you will have to lengthen or shorten them dependant on the level of tweakness....make sure that you can get all the rods to line up, if not you need to either untweak the PTO till you think you can, or work out how you are going to add an extra UJ into the system, and extar brackets etc

5. this then shows the centre of the new hole patern. Use a new gasket and mark out the new holes and then drill

6. Fit PTO, you'll also have to modify the lever at the top (on / off) unit - minwe I cut / shut and welded and was quite easy. the more you twaek the more it will be neding a mod. I also replaced the nuts with allen bolts, these then clear the casing area where the new holes are - cos the old holes where the nuts go are shasped into the casing to allow the nuts room !

HTH

Nige

Make sure the transfer box is filled with oil, it migrates to the PTO as you drive until the levels equalise, so you will need to top it up after installing the unit.

I wrecked a PTO by hitting a treestump with it, do something to protect it as they're very easy to break!

BuggeredPTO.jpg

I got Dave at Southdown to make me up a plate which is brilliant, protects the transfer box and PTO and lets me slide over things without it hanging down stupidly low. Unfortunately he's not keen on making any more as it was so much work!

A few pics for ideas...

PTOGuard1.jpg

PTOGuard2.jpg

PTOGuard3.jpg

PTOGuard4.jpg

PTOGuard5.jpg

I looked at rotating mine but for me it was beyond my capabilities and would have lead to more exhaust modifications etc. that I decided protecting it as it's supposed to be was a better idea.

Richard

james,

I take it you have toped up the oil in the T case ? also i hope you didnt use that input gear that it came with as those bearings look well pass it :unsure:

laters

have good new year

Hey moose aka paul

Yeah topped up the oil, and used the input gear that was already in the box, not the one that came with it. Took it all out again last night and put it in again - still whining though! If I engage pto and drive truck - no whine! disengage pto and drive truck - whine! Doh!

You have a good new year to. Did you guys go green laning today? Would have been nice and wet!

Cheers

James

Make sure the transfer box is filled with oil, it migrates to the PTO as you drive until the levels equalise, so you will need to top it up after installing the unit.

I wrecked a PTO by hitting a treestump with it, do something to protect it as they're very easy to break!

BuggeredPTO.jpg

I got Dave at Southdown to make me up a plate which is brilliant, protects the transfer box and PTO and lets me slide over things without it hanging down stupidly low. Unfortunately he's not keen on making any more as it was so much work!

A few pics for ideas...

PTOGuard1.jpg

PTOGuard2.jpg

PTOGuard3.jpg

PTOGuard4.jpg

PTOGuard5.jpg

I looked at rotating mine but for me it was beyond my capabilities and would have lead to more exhaust modifications etc. that I decided protecting it as it's supposed to be was a better idea.

Richard

Cheers Richard

Looks beefey enough. Hadn't thought of doing it that way. I guess you can drop it down out of way to get to handbrake etc? Thought would make it up out of box section (sure have seen a post on here where someone else has done similar), but might look at your design now.

Many thanks

James

Merry xmas (+2)!

Right, as some of you probably know, I am in process of fitting a Superwinch h14 pto driven winch on my 110 300tdi (1996). Can I ask anyone who has one a few questions?????? pleeaasse!

Thanks guys, and sorry to be a pain!

Happy new year

James

The answer to my whining woes is to fit the spacer that was on the original pto cover, not the slightly thicker one that came with the winch and PTO kit.( despite being told otherwise by someone in the landrover trade!) :huh: Spoke to Superwinch and they said that when these units were fitted at the factory, each one was done individually due to varying build tolerances! :rolleyes: Anyway, all works properly and no whining noise. Result! Getting quite good at removing and refitting PTO's now! ;)