24v Rover V8 Starter Motor

garrycol

The starter motor fitted to my 24v FC 101 V8 has disintegrated and as a minimum requires an new armature and brush housing.  I suppose I can get it rewound etc but will be expensive so I have been looking online for a replacement.  I have looked at all the usual 101 parts suppliers and those that do list the 24v starter are out of stock and the one that does have them want £300 which when landed back in Australia will be close to £450.

Looking for suggestions for where I should look for alternatives or other suppliers.

Thanks

Garry

How wedded to 24V are you? When it is working it is great but when it breaks it gets expensive.

Personally I would use this as the incentive to convert to 12V. The electrical system is not that complicated so you have starter motor, distributor, coil, plugs, heater fan motor, flasher relay, brake warning lamp, wiper motor, washer pump, fuel tank sender, horn and a stack of bulbs which should all be available in Australia. With the exception of some wiring around the batteries the harness remains the same. It may not be significantly cheaper initially but in the long term parts will be easier and cheaper to get hold of. 

In my case I had the number plate wire short out at the rear of the truck and melt the harness from one end of the truck to the other. Having been bitten by LR ad their crappy attitude to fusing I built an entire new electrical system around a 12 fuse panel from Painless. The fuse panel is now located up in the battery box and the truck is electrically far more reliable than it was when it was a 24V. With a Lucas sport coil and the electronic dizzy from 101Parts it starts on the button and runs like a champ.

More than one way to skin a cat so it depends on the direction you take.

Edited by greenmeanie

Thanks for both those comments.

Yes considered a 12v starter - they are cheap as chips but not sure how they would stand up to 24v on a difficult start.  I am considering changing the starter to 12v but being started from my aux 12v battery but that will mean changing it from a deep cycle battery to a hybrid deepcycle/starter battery but run the problem of running the now aux/starter battery down when camping etc.  Normally the aux would be isolated from the starter - though I could always jump start the 12v from the 24v batteries if it was flat.

I have considered changing the vehicle over to 12v but as you have listed there are a lot of components there and it is just not something I would want to do at the moment but may consider in the future.

Cheers

Garry

This morning I was able to locate a local supplier who has new 24v armatures for a good price (equiv of £50).

As it was the armature and the brush holder that was wrecked,  this armature and the spare 12v brush holder should see the problem resolved.  

Cheers

Garry

• Like 1

".. unfortunately we have no local old guys doing this sort of thing .."

I know the feeling....

The French throw away and replace.

Bon Courage !

Does anyone know where I can get the early starter motor "wedge" style starter brushes - all the ones I have seen are the later "block" style from about 1986 on and I have not found the earlier style.

This the style I am after

48200603481_2f04d07f63_b.jpgIMG_20190629_151007

Cheers

Garry

Edited by garrycol

10 hours ago, FridgeFreezer said:

Millions of brushes on eBay, I'd assume they're going to be common to a load of other stuff of the era too... a quick search turned up these:

Land-Rover-Series-2A-3-Starter-Motor-Carbon-Brush-Kit-AAU1405

Which have a wedgey shape to them and are LR parts.

Doh - I did not even consider the 4 cylinder 2a/3 starters would be even the same as the V8s - opens up a new world.  I guess I need to think more laterally.  These did not come up on any search for V8 starter brushes.

Thanks a million.

Garry