300Tdi Conversion

My rebuild id 1987 110 with Disco 300Tdi and LT77 box. 

Hitting problem after problem with engine been about 6 to  inches further back. solving slowly them one by one.

Here is my next one in pic, is  running out of funds now to buy conversion kits ect,  Is ther a DIY way to get round this, think I will need to do something with oil cooler pipes to.

IMG_20190825_144740.jpg

I did a 2.5td (19j) to disco 200tdi (turbo hanging low) conversion a few years back, had similar problems and much more since mine was LHD. I've put the air filter on the airco mounting (since the steering box is on the left side for me, were normally the housing goes, made mounting myself) and for the intercooler air hoses, I used steel pipes to join 2 hoses together. I had the hoses from the 19j lying around so used them too.

IMG_0499.JPG

IMG_0502.JPG

Edited by Koen110
  • Like 1

You will need to lengthen both intercooler hoses and the top rad hose, bottom will be ok. The oil cooler pipes can be extended at a hydraulic supplier, cost me £75. Power steering pipes will fit. Suggest you get an electric fan as viscous won’t work. Mounting on revotec is good, better than kenlow when I bought mine.

if it’s a disco engine the air inlet pipe runs up the passenger side of bay, when defender goes behind engine. It won’t go behind engine now as it sits so close to the bulkhead, so I just stuck a conical filter on the end of the disco intake hose

20 hours ago, Koen110 said:

I did a 2.5td (19j) to disco 200tdi (turbo hanging low) conversion a few years back, had similar problems and much more since mine was LHD. I've put the air filter on the airco mounting (since the steering box is on the left side for me, were normally the housing goes, made mounting myself) and for the intercooler air hoses, I used steel pipes to join 2 hoses together. I had the hoses from the 19j lying around so used them too.

IMG_0499.JPG

IMG_0502.JPG

I like this installation, very neat. I would use this one as a guide. Electric fan, extended pipes and using the defender air filter cannister 

A section of exhaust pipe makes a goid extender for the top hose. 

For oil cooler pipes I always cut the hose, extend it with a piece of copper pipe and some quality hose clips, they aren't under much pressure. 

For the exhaust cut 6" out of the horizontal section of the downpipe and weld the end back on (not forgetting to slide the flange back on!). Helps to give a slight inboard bias on the end to keep it away from the chassis. The rest of the exhaust is then standard once you've figured some new hangers out. 

For the oil-cooler pipes, a lot of agricultural/plant-workshops will make them up for you on the spot, using proper swageing machines and 'professional'-quality parts, at a not-too-horrific price.

(Agricultural fitters are always under time-pressure but right now, with harvest in full-swing, might not be the best time to ask for a pipe to be made up - their minds are more focussed on that big harvester that's just blown a line and is costing someone £1000/hour in downtime)

18 hours ago, kevin50 said:

Thanks Everyone got a good idea of what I can do now.   Just the Oil Cooler pipes to sort

Find a company near you that makes hydraulic pipes, take yours in and they will just fit your pipes with extended metal pipes to your specified length. Not sure where you are in the world, but there is a company in Rotherham that does it for half the price of the £140 Steve Parkers kit.

As above, pop down to your local hydraulic or agricultural supplier, they will be a lot cheaper than the Steve Parker kit. From memory mine were about £25, they used the original ends and just extended the middle section.

IMG_0899_zps2a9yoolt.JPG.48821b9e671789c1ba1190db33168eb7.JPG