Need powersteering.

Gareth Dickens

It's all doable, if you fit a defender box you need to either notch the front x-member or replace it with something thinner. Then you need to tube the chassis for the PAS box bolts. While you're doing it you may as well use a Disco 2 box as they're stronger, unless you have an old 90/110/RR one sat round.

I replaced the front x-member with a piece of 100x50 box flush with the rad panel. Oh before you fit the box, check the track rod end won't foul the front suspension outrigger when you cycle the steering, ask me how I know :unsure:

put a def front end on and then u can fit new crossmember wherever you want

Heresy! Burn him! Defender front end indeed... It's doable without easy enough.

Oh and (thanks for reminding me Jon) you could always fit an electric PAS column from a Corsa, which gains you a tilty steering wheel too. I happen to have one going spare... ;)

Sorry, wasn't paying attention and somehow confused you with Jon White :huh: not sure how 'cos he has a working vehicle :ph34r:

Eh???? Working???? You mean the one thats in bits on axle stands at the moment with yet another broken front axle and knackered steering u/js???

Jon

Heresy! Burn him! Defender front end indeed... It's doable without easy enough.

Oh and (thanks for reminding me Jon) you could always fit an electric PAS column from a Corsa, which gains you a tilty steering wheel too. I happen to have one going spare... ;)

there's a post, here in the forum, about the use of an electric box from a saxo. would these cases be better+easier than a Def/Disco/RR box? it sounds (and looks) like it... but is it really?

There are electric PAS pumps and electric PAS Columns. The first are used to negate the need for an engine driven pump for traditional hydrualic PAS, and can provide a neat solution if you're retro-fitting.

The Corsa column is electrically driven, there is no hydraulic element to it - you turn the wheel and a lot more torque comes out the other end of the column. On a series that means you still need a defender-style steering box for the column to drive into (unless you really hack the drop box about) which makes it almost as much work to fit a PAS box than a non-PAS one. However, the EPAS does remove the need for the engine driven pump and associated plumbing, and non-PAS boxes are super cheap.

or just fit a TI-Console setup and save the hassle of spending hours of your expensive life thinking how to fit a Defender box into something that wasn't designed for it :rolleyes: 2000 miles so far with my setup that I got from Tonk and it's been faultless :i-m_so_happy:

http://www.heystee-automotive.com/index.htm

Chris Perfect also does the kit as well:

http://www.chrisperfect.com/products/brake...eering_kit.html

It also means that if the ram fails or the pump fails, pop the belt off the pump, remove the ram and link rod, fit in the original link rod and off you drive on standard series steering again B)

or just fit a TI-Console setup and save the hassle of spending hours of your expensive life thinking how to fit a Defender box into something that wasn't designed for it

Rob, not doing the CP kit down but it's £800 :blink: and uses a custom ram that we know from experience TDZ will not sell separately (incidentally CP's markup on the kit is around £400 :blink: ). Even buying a new D2 PAS box and drop arm outright from Adwest my PAS setup cost maybe £300, and the fabrication required is neither difficult nor time consuming. Use a normal 2nd hand PAS box and the cost drops to less than a ton.

Oh and if the pump fails you don't need to change anything, you just drive on with heavier steering.

Agree with John - the TI kit is horrifically expensive, but more to the point it still gives you vagueness that you get with any series steering.

Swapping to rangie kit is easy to do if you can fabricate, and has the bonus of less turns of the wheel lock to lock, and gives a much more precise feeling to the steering. No more sawing at the wheel to keep it going straight!

Plus above all replacement parts are easy and cheap to come by when something goes wrong.

Jon

the CP is a good bit of kit, and does help with the wanderyness, although it doesn't cure it, the ram is hugely powerful though which is good, the cheaper option is lr stuff though but does take a bit of chopping and welding to fit

Thank you all very much for the replies. Leaning towards the defender p/s box as I know where to find one. Spares are not as easily accessible in South Africa as in the U.K. What is the easiest pump to match with it. I don't mind a floaty drive as it has a 4-speed box and is not built for long open roads.

it depends which engine you are running or how good you are at fabbing something up, i'd suggest get the standard pump that will fit your engine with lr brackets.

I'm reasonably handy with a welder and grinder. I' running a Ford 4.2l (255 cu. inch) V8 so any pump is good as long as it turns in the same direction as I do not want to install it facing backwards, allthough that is an option as a last resort. As I said it is a toy - not built for concourse or grandeur.

I'm rather confused at the moment as I can get a complete rolling chassis of a 110 defender including front Rover diff with disc brakes, Rear Sallisbury, power steering box still fitted,complete firewall and coils. This solves every issue I have with a series III,excluding heater and aircon,but can I transfer my seriesIII body to the 110 chassis and is it worth the trouble?

I'm rather confused at the moment as I can get a complete rolling chassis of a 110 defender including front Rover diff with disc brakes, Rear Sallisbury, power steering box still fitted,complete firewall and coils. This solves every issue I have with a series III,excluding heater and aircon,but can I transfer my seriesIII body to the 110 chassis and is it worth the trouble?

the same setup mentioned earlier with the saxo pump also uses a steering box outboard of the chassis.

i cant remember the person's name, green 2a pickup i think with a thread i the members vehicles section.

if i recall correctly this is a toyota box and is a setup i've seen used on a few australian examples.

might be easier for you to get a toyota box where you are gareth.

i'm afraid i'm rather unfamiliar with series steering setups so i cant elaborate further. i'm sure plenty people here could add info about that sort of setup. i dont now if its any easier or better than swapping to defender or range rover setup or any better. perhaps just done because 'yota boxes are more available in australia.

i'm sure bill, or agrover (i think bill here) who runs the home built portaled series runs such a setup. perhaps he uses a nissan box, or perhaps i am imagining things.

http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=8638&st=0

seems its a lhd 6 bolt box

http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=6428

bills rover, reading ithe runs a 'cruiser power steering box but its not powered at the mo.

http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=6893

the final one but no mention of power steering there

i think a better write up is available on outerlimits