what's my box worth?

Tonk

as the evolution of my truck continues i'm considering selling my gearbox along with the disced handbrake on the back. its basically a self built lt77 mated onto a series transfer box which will bolt straight onto the standard series gearbox mounts with no mods to the chassis apart from the bellhousing crossmember would have to be scalloped. obviously anyone putting it in would have to remake propshafts to suit.

ysexvw.jpg

ydestj.jpg

tia

Mark. (who hasn't got a clue)

I sold an ashcroft kit 2 years ago for £150, and that was just the kit! (which frankly was pretty horrible!) Could have sold it at least 3 times over aswell......

As this is a complete, proven unit, thats more or less a nuts and bolts swap I should have thought it should have been worth alot more........how much more i dont know.........

Jon

One way to tell is to stick it on eBlag with a reserve price you'd be happy with (or a really silly high one) on a 10-day auction and see who bites / how many e-mails you get. Make sure you describe it well / clearly. You can always reserve the right to pull it at the last minute if you're not overjoyed at the price.

One way to tell is to stick it on eBlag with a reserve price you'd be happy with (or a really silly high one) on a 10-day auction and see who bites / how many e-mails you get. Make sure you describe it well / clearly. You can always reserve the right to pull it at the last minute if you're not overjoyed at the price.

i reckon thats wot i might end up doing ;)

O/T

will a lt77 defender bellhousing fit onto a R380? :unsure:

O/T

will a lt77 defender bellhousing fit onto a R380?

Yes it will, thats how my R380 is fitted to my 200Tdi, bell housing is 11cm overall length from front to rear mating faces

200Tdi/R380 use FRC9865 [same as LT77, 'stumpy' 11cm overall length bellhousing]

:i-m_so_happy:

Yes it will, thats how my R380 is fitted to my 200Tdi, bell housing is 11cm overall length from front to rear mating faces

200Tdi/R380 use FRC9865 [same as LT77, 'stumpy' 11cm overall length bellhousing]

:i-m_so_happy:

so shorter than a standard 4 pot bellhousing? IIRC standard bellhousing is about 180mm long?

Ah is that the stumpy one made from Unobtanium???

Jon

Yep :i-m_so_happy: ISTR the R380 is about 25mm longer than the LT77. but the LT77 bell housing allows the R380 to fit a 200Tdi engine & most likely a 300Tdi provided it sits on the original mountings of a earlier 4 cylinder engined vehicle

And what about the input shaft?? if its an r380 out any disco or 300 defender the input shaft is longer.............................

I know this as a fact as we did the conversion and we had to shorten the main shaft to suit, it was a disco box, hence fitting the defender gear linkage was also a royal pita to get right!!

Grem

The longer bellhousings (EG Disco/RR V8) are different to take up the extra inch, but it seems with the short ones they couldn't / didn't want to make them any shorter. Worth a double check with the tape measure though as you don't wanna be swapping input shafts <_<

On one of the forums or possibly the web site of the chap in Australia that does the 4 wheel steer defender and i cant remember which it was, there was the tale of a 90 that had been reboxed from LT77 to R380 using the LT77 bellhousing, it was never right requiring redrilled(bodge) & not tubed mounting holes in the chassis. It trashed the gearbox & clutch which never operated correctly and investigation revealed that the spigot bearing on the input shaft did not enter the bush in the crankshaft, so the drive plate was wobbling well from the unsupported input shaft when the clutch was not driving as the R380 needed a shorter bellhousing, using the correct R380 bellhousing and all the mounting holes lined up correctly and the bearing entered the crank bush!

:)