New disco owner

Matt2e0fgx

Hello all picking up my first disco tomorrow, been a idea for least 5 years but life gets in the way . 

So it's a 2004 td5 in forest Green in standard form and the rear chassis looks not too bad .My intentions is a daily driver while doing a bit of green laning . I dont wish to lift if of put really big wheels and tyres on . 

What do you  lot recommend mods for playing in the lanes ? 

My idea was to get it chipped as super chips offering a £100 discount . Before xmas so I can get it done next week no problem.  Also thinking to do the diff plate linkage conversion from a tdi and swap the wheels for steels and some all terrains.  

Anything else apart from servicing and maintenance? 

Oh I'm from Swindon 

Matt 

Hi Matt, 

obviously we don't know what resources you have to do the Watts linkage replacement but that would be a fairly 'deep end' just for a bit of green laning, I would get to know the vehicle first and see whether it proves a good buy before major surgery.

Tyres are the thing, daily driver and green lane are really two different things, AT's will be a compromise solution, if you have a major commute then consider MT's on a spare set of wheels for the weekend

4 minutes ago, SPendrey said:

Best thing you can do is try it as is with AT tyres on, but I wouldn't bother with steel wheels etc., just use the alloys you've got, or pick up a second hand set.

Would agree on the wheels not worth spendfing money on steels the alloys are well capable. Would suggest General Grabber AT tyres. And replace the front bumper with a steel one either now or after you damage it. They are very easily broken.

6 minutes ago, Blanco said:

Hi Matt, 

obviously we don't know what resources you have to do the Watts linkage replacement but that would be a fairly 'deep end' just for a bit of green laning, I would get to know the vehicle first and see whether it proves a good buy before major surgery.

i think he means fit the difflock linkage from a tdi instead of the very expensive cable actuator

1 minute ago, RedLineMike said:

i think he means fit the difflock linkage from a tdi instead of the very expensive cable actuator

I thought the late ones had all that ?? But now that I re-read it, I may have jumped to the wrong conclusion there :D

5 minutes ago, Blanco said:

I thought the late ones had all that ?? But now that I re-read it, I may have jumped to the wrong conclusion there :D

my understanding was unless you specified it as an option, the transferbox had the internals, but there was no means of actuating it,

50 minutes ago, Blanco said:

Hi Matt, 

Tyres are the thing, daily driver and green lane are really two different things, AT's will be a compromise solution, if you have a major commute then consider MT's on a spare set of wheels for the 

It's only a 20 minute drive to work . But if go up to Wales etc as play on high hill with radio operating also 

54 minutes ago, Blanco said:

Hi Matt, 

Tyres are the thing, daily driver and green lane are really two different things, AT's will be a compromise solution, if you have a major commute then consider MT's on a spare set of wheels for the weekend

What needs to be done to the watts linkage ? 

Im a van mechanic and have use of workshop out of hours . 

1 hour ago, SPendrey said:

Best thing you can do is try it as is with AT tyres on, but I wouldn't bother with steel wheels etc., just use the alloys you've got, or pick up a second hand set.

It needs 2 new tyres soon as around 4mm on the front , so may as well put at's on . 

6 hours ago, Matt2e0fgx said:

Simon why would you recommend the grabbers vs the bf Goodrich? 

Yes I seen pictures they can get damaged easy 

The bumper on mine lasted about 2 months. I replaced it and lasted another 2 months so I bougth a steel one that I stuck into a ditch and came out with some scratching.

I have the Grabbers on my Range Rover and had a set on a donor Disco 2 that 'I used for 9 months. Never has a problem but have also never tried the BF's so cannot compare.

11 hours ago, Matt2e0fgx said:

What needs to be done to the watts linkage ? 

Nothing at all as often as not but the joints do  wear and need replacing in the course of things. Some off-roaders think that it restricts articulation and replace it with a panhard rod (or alternative) arrangement. As I said when encouraged to re-read your original post I realised I had probably mis-understood the gist of it, and in doing so introduced a slight red herring. 

If you get treads filled with mud either AT or road tyres then they are not going to get traction. AT's have a better grip however when I was trying to get my cars out of my (very muddy) field the disco on road tyres just sat and spun and needed a tractor to finally pull it out. My Range Rover on grabbers generally made better progress but couldn't get over the hump at the gate because of the mud. I left the RR in the field until a heavy frost and it drove out very easily.

(I needed the tractor as all my cars were stranded in the field (lol)

3 hours ago, SPendrey said:

Can you not just add a couple of jate rings?

If you do, invest in a short strop to go between them that can be shut in the rear door or similar, nothing better than watching someone having to clamber under a muddy truck in a big cold puddle to get to a JATE ring :lol:

A strop between them spreads the load too.

• Like 1