Tdi 300 supports when transmission removed

Troll Hunter

As in the title.  I have to split the transmission and engine, using an engine crane on the transmission.  Do I need to support the engine, still mounted on the chassis, in front of the mountings or behind the mountings, or not at all?

Many thanks in advance for any guidance.

Mike

Hi mike, 

If all the pipes are left connected, the engine will hang ok by its own. Probably not the right way to do it, but it works in a hurry and the engine seems to be in OK balance. Last time i even put the main boks on aswell, but it did hang a bit on an incline then... (only had one gearboxhoist...)

/Mads 

Many thanks for such quick replies.  Since the engine has no pipes connected I'll play safe and use my trolley jack under the engine as Western suggests.  I must admit that I thought it would be front heavy, since the engine mounts appear to be roughly opposite number three cylinder.  Shows how little I know!😕

Mike

Hang on, he has said 300 Tdi. I think they want to tip forward towards the radiator when the gearbox is not connected: The engine mounts on a factory fitted 300 tdi are in a totally different place to 200 tdi and earlier engines. 

I'm sure I've seen 300 tdis tipped right forwards with no gearbox when I've been hunting for parts round my local land rover scrap yard. 

Would it be possible to borrow another engine crane to support the engine whilst you do what you need to with the gearbox? 

Best to support it from tipping one way or the other. I cant remember offhand but I think the 300tdi wants to fall forward ? Radiator alert !

What I always do is but some cloth/sacks/carpet on top of the wings and lay 4x2 timber across the engine bay, then loop rope or webbing under the engine and tie it up.

This then leaves the underneath clear for you to grovel around.