Perkins Mazda 4182

Hello from Locked Down Somerset

Have been searching for info on the Perkins Mazda 4182 engine and its use in Series 2 or 3...
Found a thread dating back to 2007 but not much since + some discussion that the 4182 was fitted to RRCs and Motors & Diesel of Sleaford offered a kit/adaptor plate.
Can anyone please advise me on the suitability of this engine in a Series 2 or 3 - and if they have if it's advisable to uprate/change the gearbox as I understand the 4182 is very torquey engine.

Thanks in advance
Dave

I had one a turbocharged wastegated one in a RRC. Revs to 4000rpm and much more responsive than a 200Tdi. Trouble is that it is quite a bulky / heavy motor, and the exhaust is on the (UK) driver's side so has to be tucked out of the way of the propshaft. These days, my money would go on a 200 / 300Tdi installation as being much more straight forward, whilst parts are more readily available.

Info from Watson & Turner (engine installer in the 90's) attached.

Watson_Turner_Mazda.pdf

I've had the Mazda - as some of you know - over the years in several vehicles in the Turbo & intercooled versions and love them. Both with the R380 and the ZF autobox in a 110 CSW (oohh.... I loved that one) and the RRC.

afbeelding.png.16b8986bb979e61fdc9e6a350dc9e67d.png

afbeelding.png.cdeb983330b8315dc4c5ba9ff82e074f.png

Modified crossmember

afbeelding.png.a2b65c2529a7bed71489966c333a7bdd.png

afbeelding.png.634098631a600ba84c3a0f47101a142d.png

Serious good engine, needs the biggest brute of a battery to start and needs to be driven like a truck - gentle -  and I'd live to have one again in a 110 if I could find a good one as they're getting old..

He's talking about the HA, Arjan, not the SLDT35

The HA in NAD and 3.0 litres; it's 70bhp and 94ft/lbs

Turbocharging and waving a magic want can see a tadge over 95bhp and about 130ft/lb - so ideal for the Series...revs well

Many, many, many better engines out there - but a fair few worse

I think the later version (post 1980) is direct injection

Thing is they are designed for different uses - The HA is a light vehicle engine, whereas the SLDT35 is a truck engine (albeit light trucks up to 10 tonnes), so has real torque; about 300ft/lb in it's best form - at 1200rpm

I also believe the HA was tuned for efficiency

I’ve had two rrc with the 4182 (well one was my parents but I used it !) and thought they were brilliant engines .............

until I put a 200tdi in a rrc , no comparison , the 200tdi is streets ahead , that would be my recommendation, one of the best engines Land Rover ever made 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Ozzy50 said:

until I put a 200tdi in a rrc , no comparison , the 200tdi is streets ahead , that would be my recommendation, one of the best engines Land Rover ever made 

Without doubt. Possibly even the best they made - but I've had 11 since 1992

• 2 months later...