Land Rover alarm

ianmayco68

Not sure on that one - does it rely on having the imobiliser block in the FIP? 

Just a thought but the TK103 gps trackers I fit also have alarm and imobiliser functions, triggered by door switches, motion, movement or battery disconnect and either set off an alarm siren or send an alarm to your phone.  Pretty good value for £26

https://www.amazon.co.uk/ATian-Tracker-Control-Software-Tracking-TK103B/dp/B01MRTXSLN/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=tk103b+gps+tracker&qid=1587284287&sr=8-3

• Like 1

Been using one for a couple of years,  no problems to date. Have thier own built in battery so keep going if youre battery's disconnected.  Only slight niggle is the power draw can be a problem if you don't move the car for a week or two.

12 hours ago, Eightpot said:

Not sure on that one - does it rely on having the imobiliser block in the FIP? 

Just a thought but the TK103 gps trackers I fit also have alarm and imobiliser functions, triggered by door switches, motion, movement or battery disconnect and either set off an alarm siren or send an alarm to your phone.  Pretty good value for £26

https://www.amazon.co.uk/ATian-Tracker-Control-Software-Tracking-TK103B/dp/B01MRTXSLN/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=tk103b+gps+tracker&qid=1587284287&sr=8-3

One of the review comments suggests this is limited to a GSM SIM card, which would be switched off when 2G services ceased last year.... Unsure how accurate that is if you're is working, quite interested in it.

Edited by ThreePointFive

Doesn't look like that's happening anytime soon - 2G is still used by lots of low level devices like trackers, alarm systems, industrial monitoring devices, IoT,  and voice calls in remote areas.  Read something recently that suggested it was more likely they will switch off 3G before 2G. 

Is there a 2G SIM card provider that allows you to have an account that is"idle" for long periods? 

I think most accounts die after 6 months inactivity.

I did think 2G is used by far too many services to be binned, but not in the loop on these things.

Gazzar, it looks like you can text the SIM and it will respond, so a text every few months would keep it live.

All this sounds very good, I think I will be putting in an order.

Edited by ThreePointFive

I use giff gaff for the sim - you can just buy a few pounds credit and there's a setting to automatically top up if credit runs out (you wouldn't want it to run out if you were busy trying to follow your car..)

I think the sim stays active as long as it has credit, though I tend to text the tracker once a month anyway just to check it's functioning. 

You don't need to buy one of the monthly 'goodie bag' plans by the way, you can just buy credit and they charge you a few pence for each text till your credit runs out, then it tops back up if you use the auto facility. 

Edited by Eightpot

Went ahead and purchased one of the many on Amazon, seems there are a few different fob styles so went for the smaller one with a GiffGaff SIM ordered. At this price it won't be the only tracker I get but I can build it in to the car at this stage.

Edited by ThreePointFive

GiffGaff will close your account if you don't use it (I think it has to be an outgoing call or text, i.e. you spend some credit) every few months. It's in the terms and conditions. I've had the company support mobile disconnected that way. 

I just send a text every three months or so if it's not been used.

• 1 month later...

So a quick update on this, fitted one of the above units and it worked well. It didn't move once the whole time it was in my garage.

A week or so later I noticed some interesting behaviour with some electrics which I traced to the unit. It seems it grounds through the case and not just the earth wire, so the poor connection with where I put it was causing it to visibly arc between the case and the body of the land rover.

I'm not good with the electrical side, so is this normal? It seems like an obvious fault but if not is at least limiting factor in where the unit can be placed.