One for the V8 folk

Bigj66

Where is the best place to buy a full gasket set for the engine reassembly?

There are tons of suppliers out there but I’m after a decent set of gaskets and seals etc that will do the job properly and not fail after half an hour. I know I will need to buy the sump gasket and upper manifold gasket separately as I have the Thor engine but that’s no drama in itself.

Can anyone recommend a quality aftermarket brand based on experience or am I best just biting the bullet and going for the more expensive Landrover kit?

I have no experience on the v8 engines, however on my diesel engines I always use Elring cylinder head gaskets. I did a quick search and they do a V8 version. I don't know if this is the right one for your particular v8 but it seems they are available. 

https://www.island-4x4.co.uk/head-gasket-incl-elring-head-gaskets-stc4082el-p-6566.html

14 minutes ago, monkie said:

I have no experience on the v8 engines, however on my diesel engines I always use Elring cylinder head gaskets. I did a quick search and they do a V8 version. I don't know if this is the right one for your particular v8 but it seems they are available. 

https://www.island-4x4.co.uk/head-gasket-incl-elring-head-gaskets-stc4082el-p-6566.html

Cheers although I don’t need the head gaskets as the heads haven’t been removed although I will probably keep a set in stock just in case. It’s the full kit of gaskets, seals and O rings that I’m after just to put the engine back together. I can buy most items separately and JLR still do genuine ones at a price but I’ve no idea which aftermarket brands are ok to use and I always try to avoid the cheap Britpart ones if I can.

I see. Its the head gasket and oil seals I've found to be critical. Elring also do oil seals as do Corteco. If possible for crank and cam seals I pay a little more and get genuine. For other places like the sump, rocker cover and timing case I apply just a little smear of gasket dressing like this one

https://www.bearing-king.co.uk/bearing/loctite-5922-gasket-dressing-60ml/9575?gclid=Cj0KCQjw7qn1BRDqARIsAKMbHDZQ01b4vcYagOHoPPEPOtCyMBhasqCD0ycQPaUPrMzh_-wsS_PMjeoaAr_4EALw_wcB

2 minutes ago, monkie said:

I see. Its the head gasket and oil seals I've found to be critical. Elring also do oil seals as do Corteco. If possible for crank and cam seals I pay a little more and get genuine. For other places like the sump, rocker cover and timing case I apply just a little smear of gasket dressing like this one

https://www.bearing-king.co.uk/bearing/loctite-5922-gasket-dressing-60ml/9575?gclid=Cj0KCQjw7qn1BRDqARIsAKMbHDZQ01b4vcYagOHoPPEPOtCyMBhasqCD0ycQPaUPrMzh_-wsS_PMjeoaAr_4EALw_wcB

I do the same when I assemble parts 👍

What I don’t want to do is end up having to strip the engine down again because a piddling little O ring is leaking.

8 minutes ago, Bigj66 said:

I do the same when I assemble parts 👍

What I don’t want to do is end up having to strip the engine down again because a piddling little O ring is leaking.

Yep, been there and done that my self. Learnt the hard way to not use cheapo oil seals and gaskets! I had oil pouring out of the rear crankseal within in 10 minutes of running at idle. 

1 minute ago, Bowie69 said:

I'd strip and buy individual better quality parts, any 'set' tends to be a bit poor.

Elring for head gaskets for sure, I thought you had the heads off in your other thread?

No, everything but the heads just to check the internal condition of it which is spotless otherwise I’ll end up stripping the engine down completely for no reason and then where will it end? I’ll just button it back up after cleaning and painting the ancillaries and then see how it runs. I think this engine is either very low mileage or has just been rebuilt to a high standard. It even came with Magnecore leads so someone hasn’t scrimped on maintenance.

2 hours ago, Bigj66 said:

No, everything but the heads just to check the internal condition of it which is spotless otherwise I’ll end up stripping the engine down completely for no reason and then where will it end? I’ll just button it back up after cleaning and painting the ancillaries and then see how it runs. I think this engine is either very low mileage or has just been rebuilt to a high standard. It even came with Magnecore leads so someone hasn’t scrimped on maintenance.

Fair enough, looking at the very clean valley, I'd say you are right, no need to break the egg open unless you really wanted to.

39 minutes ago, steve200TDi said:

Turners do engine stuff, have you tried them?

https://www.turnerengineering.co.uk/

Steve

I did but they only had a very limited amount of stuff for the V8 so I went with JLR £££s and some Bearmach stuff. Some of the JLR items you can only purchase in minimum quantities of 5 🤷‍♂️