Next Problem, Think its Fuel

Sorry but here I go again, 

Anyway hope this ones an easy fix. fitted new Temp Gauge and Volt Meter, as others were knackered .
Ran engine for a good 20 minuets or so to test them , sounded really good until I give it a couple of revs on Throttle in this on Vid, seems to be revving up on its own then dying down. after letting go of throttle and pushing down on it again there is nothing there .

I'm not touching anything in Vid its doing this on its own.
Always had trouble priming fuel through when starting after fixing something.

This problem was there before my Pump Leak .

That’s air in the fuel pump.  Mine have both done that on start up (200 and 300) when the small black braided hoses between injectors have perished and cracked, allowing air in when the engine is shut down, so the fuel drains back to the tank.  It clears after a few minutes.  Replace those hoses with new lengths from a roll (LR only sell them complete with unions, fittings and bigger plastic hose to the pump, £80+ ten years ago) for a few pounds from an auto factors.  4.8mm fuel hose, if I remember correctly.  It might not be the cause, but it’s a cheap and easy fault to eliminate, and one that does eventually affect most Tdis.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, vulcan bomber said:

Its definitely air getting in somewhere. As mentioned, check and/or replace the spill rail pipes. Check the fuel filter is sealed to the housing correctly..... have you actually got fuel in the tank?

Spill pipes are new so OK,  When I went up today I cracked open the front banjo on pump and  what seemed like a Hiss of Air came out with some diesel, it fired straight up and ran well, left it for a couple of hours, and it  fired straight up again, Sorted I thought but after a good 15 minuets started missing slightly then just the same. Cant get fuel up to screw on top of filter by lift pump, only get it on cranking,  Might unscrew the filter then refit, tomorrow, or anything else I can try?.

Doing my head in Now, everytime a problem is solved another crops up.

6 hours ago, Snagger said:

Check the fuel filter o-ring.  It could have gone in skewed or twisted, and it’s common enough to have two in the groove, which stops them from working.

Gonna take it off today and check, might change the 2 pipes coming from filter as I have them joined .

Think there 2 different sizes, anyone know what the correct size is ?

Changed filter put all new copper washers round, Still the same, It starts and runs really well giving it a few revs every now and then , until after about 20 mins then it does the same thing, after revving it runs ruff for a few seconds then nothing on throttle.
Can not get fuel out of top screw on filter housing by hand priming, only through cranking so gonna try another Lift Pump tomorrow. The one that's on was brand new so don't know whats gone wrong there, it is Bearmack from my local Landy place,
Surely they must have warranty on them.

As Mo says they don't pump on the lever unless the cam that drives it isn't holding the arm up. I don't think its the lift pump. I have ditched the mechanical one and fitted electric and i can forget to turn it on and the 110 will happily be chugging away at 70.

Was your fuel filter brimmed full when you checked it earlier? If yes it suggests the lift pump is fine. 

Edited by reb78

5 hours ago, Mo Murphy said:

Have you got the lift pump arm on the cam shaft when pumping ?

Mo

Don't know how Many times Ive turned engine to find Cam but just nothing there 

But Anyway Think Ive sorted it.
Took the Lift Pump off, the Dam thing seemed to be working OK when off, you could feel the resistant on it and air when putting finger over hole.
Right so put it back on but just the same could not get it to pump fuel up by hand. Anyway give it another go after cranking fuel up, and noticed a very slight air bubble coming out of the bleed nut on top of filter, it was nipped up with new copper washer, so give it another nip but nut just kept turning, The Bloody threads were stripped in it. just for quickness I screwed a slightly larger self tapper in with copper washer, nothing getting through this time, tried it again for a good 20 mins, and no bother, left it for an hour or so fired up straight away again ran another 20 mins and still no bother after putting Revvs on.
So hopefully its sorted now, will see if it fires up first time tomorrow when I go up.
Now would/ Could this have caused the Problem .??

You mention joining the two pipes from the filter.  Have you looped the fuel return line that should go back to the tank to the supply line from filter to injection pump?  If so, return it to standard; the system is normally self purging, so any small amounts of air ingested through small leaks or the splashing about of the fuel in the tank uncovering the pickup pipe is immediately sent to the tank and the whole system kept free of air, but if you loop the return line, like a lot of people who run on vegoil tend to do, then any air builds up and recirculates the system, unable to escape, and quickly builds up to cause the symptoms you have.  I learned that the hard way when I first installed a vegoil system on mine.

5 hours ago, Snagger said:

You mention joining the two pipes from the filter.  Have you looped the fuel return line that should go back to the tank to the supply line from filter to injection pump?  If so, return it to standard; the system is normally self purging, so any small amounts of air ingested through small leaks or the splashing about of the fuel in the tank uncovering the pickup pipe is immediately sent to the tank and the whole system kept free of air, but if you loop the return line, like a lot of people who run on vegoil tend to do, then any air builds up and recirculates the system, unable to escape, and quickly builds up to cause the symptoms you have.  I learned that the hard way when I first installed a vegoil system on mine.

What I meant was the 2 pipes from filter housing one to  Lift Pump and one to Injection Pump each have a join in them to reach as it is a conversion, I used hose  connectors think they are 6 mil , one of them has just snapped from been to Brittle, was thinking of changing them both  for this https://www.halfords.com/tools/fuses-electricals-and-fixings/fixings/halfords-fuel-hose-6mm-hfh401-316455.html

Not sure if it will do or not ?

Well Thought I had this solved but NO Just the same.  Really need to get some new pipes made up from Filter housing, made  a right bodge up of the ones I have on now with joining them together. But still need to solve this Problem, Now Ive gone and snapped the small Banjo that screws in to Injector. Hope my local Landy shop has one in, anyone know part number for this ?

Here is Vid from tonight. 

IMG_20200617_191229.jpg

IMG_20200617_193610.jpg

Tried again with some clear pipe from filter to lift pump, not sure what Im looking for but  Is this normal  ?in Vids looks like air in there,  when switched off the fuel runs back and settles half way down tube. Starts up straight away again,