Winch off...? Back on or what...?

D9OSV

WHAT!? my name again? Yes I think the late Fred Dibnah should have been invited too, in which case I would have been there, just to meet him and have a laugh over this winch talk. I am a superfan of him!

Unfortunately, we cant invite him anymore so thats completely ruled out my participation.

I dont care.

Daan

If Senor Cordell will let me escape his electric-winch groupie haters (and if I'm available) I'm willing to boil the oil in my standard Milemarker+ZF74+plasma setup. Shout with dates as and when, I'll tell the girlfriend she won't need her wellies for this one.

In fact, thinking about it, it's a standard Milemarker. I'll book the following day off work too... :lol:

Jim,

A winch off eh ? Cool

Mentioned to David about a winch off at Kelmarsh, but appears he's been sacked by Richard Green - top knob at LRE and is not welcome to the show ! He says speed and reliability are more important than power, and both winches are very good and have different features. So it'll be down to anyone who has bought one off of him.

Lots on in Feb - Jim, any way it can be in March - although not same weekend as the Slab Common - AWDC Challenge.

I think the reason Jim wants to do this near J4 M25 is that he will use the same site as the test on the movie, which is more realistic to real life than the worn out pay and play sites. And is also relatively easy to get to and from via the major motorway network.

BTW will someone have a load spring to weigh the vehicles as surely a laden 110 with a T-max 12000 is going to give different results than a 90 truck-cab shod with a warn Xp on a 45 degree hill ? unless of course they are pulling a sankey trailer or similar/same mobile dead weight up to the top of the hill from a stationary position.

(My 2nd T-max winch in as many months broke at this site, last year.)

Cheers

Peter

BTW will someone have a load spring to weigh the vehicles as surely a laden 110 with a T-max 12000 is going to give different results than a 90 truck-cab shod with a warn Xp on a 45 degree hill ? unless of course they are pulling a sankey trailer or similar/same mobile dead weight up to the top of the hill from a stationary position.

I think a fixed load to pull is the way to go, the previously mentioned test they used a collection of vehicles to create different loads. Something like a stock 90 TC, and a RR or Disco, and then join them together to give a BIG weight.

Tests I would like to see would be:

For each load the time taken to get it from top to bottom, and back down again (will this work for those with internal brakes & plasma?)

Speed to recover a set amount of rope under no load

An endurance test of some sort - EG winching a load up & down X times non-stop

It would be good to know the maximum pull for each winch too but that one is going to be a H&S head-scratcher as the forces involved could be massive.

For the electrics I would expect current measurements for each test and perhaps battery voltage* before/after, for the hydros perhaps increase in fluid temp, for the mech PTO's I dunno - any suggestions? and for anyone daft enough to bring a hand winch along some sort of medal and perhaps a measurement of estimated drop in life expectancy after that much winching :lol:

* = Although this is 100% dependant on the individual charging & battery setup the owner has so the current-Vs-load info will be of most use.

If I can make it I'd be happy to have my RR used as ballast. I'll keep the ashtray full and everything :D

Jim,

I would like to attend but there is one minor issue………… the suggested location (around M25 J4) is a 420 mile round trip for me from Devon ………… that’s well over £100 in fuel <_< (V8 16mpg at best) and 8 hours driving.

If you could hold this on a weekday, then maybe I could arrange to see one of my Cranbrook customers ;) ……….. or maybe you and I could get our heads together on a week day and then you could ad the results into the final weekend play ? :unsure:

Ian

If & when it happens - I'd like to come along if that's OK?

I don't have much useful to add to the mix in terms of winches (mine are very standard), but would like to see the process and am particularly interested in the results!

Although difficult to measure once fitted to a vehicle, the weight of the winch and associated hardware would be of interest. How much pull do you get to the Lb?

Si

Hi Jim,

Could you not make it on the saturday same weekend as AWDC challenge at Slab Common

tanks to secure vehicles to and all pull same weight/s

i dont think Neil would mind and the mags are there on sunday anyway so why not make a weekend of it

would also kill 2 birds 1 stone as its a long way for us about 5 hours drive last year

cheers John

Hi Jim,

Could you not make it on the saturday same weekend as AWDC challenge at Slab Common

tanks to secure vehicles to and all pull same weight/s

i dont think Neil would mind and the mags are there on sunday anyway so why not make a weekend of it

would also kill 2 birds 1 stone as its a long way for us about 5 hours drive last year

cheers John

Thats a good idea, however if i am not mistaken there are not any hill of size at Slab...

But i might be mistaken....

Is it also possible that through ALL this heated winch debate that we have at long last found common ground......

FRED DIBNAH

Please keep coming with the idea's and suggestions.

We are prepared to move to March or later if required to get the correct vehicles and people.

We are also looking at the possibiluity of doing this over two days Fri/Sat to accomadtae more people.

the format at present stands as having basicly different tasks set up in different area's so that people are not having to wait and that more than one vehicle can be tested at anyone time.

So please, suggest tests or trial you would like to see, and we will attempt to make them happen.

Regards

Jim :)

Thats a good idea, however if i am not mistaken there are not any hill of size at Slab...

But i might be mistaken....

Is it also possible that through ALL this heated winch debate that we have at long last found common ground......

FRED DIBNAH

Please keep coming with the idea's and suggestions.

We are prepared to move to March or later if required to get the correct vehicles and people.

We are also looking at the possibiluity of doing this over two days Fri/Sat to accomadtae more people.

the format at present stands as having basicly different tasks set up in different area's so that people are not having to wait and that more than one vehicle can be tested at anyone time.

So please, suggest tests or trial you would like to see, and we will attempt to make them happen.

Regards

Jim :)

The idea is to test the winches not the car and driver so by anchoring the motor and pulling somthing towards them is better than each vehicle of different types and weights winching up the same hill

it could be a sledge or a scrape car anything but then it will be an even playing field

The idea is to test the winches not the car and driver or drive assist so by anchoring the motor and pulling somthing towards them is better than each vehicle of different types and weights winching up the same hill

it could be a sledge or a scrape car anything but then it will be an even playing field and each winch is pulling the same thing/weight that will be a fair test

debates always good Jim but Grand master Dibnah unifies all :i-m_so_happy:

Im with John S on the dragging weight towards instead of the car. hows about a farm roller? something about the 3 or 4 tonnes range?

Hi Jez

You got home alright then?

a roller would be good but somebodys recovery truck with a landrover on would do and there will be plenty there about 4.5 tonne across sand

yep made it back, theres was a bit of a "chat" that went on though when the phone got put down

I just thought if its a roller up a hill then its a constant load and the roller wont dig in (changing the potential load for the nex unit under test) but a sled with a few tonnes of sand in would do it, a skip maybe? the only provision is obviously no wheeled vehicles on flat ground, it would be meaningless in terms of load IMO