Issues with 1991 Defender 110

Hi All! 

So I'm looking to get my first defender. I have found a 1999 200 tdi Defender County SW 110. I test drove it today and somethings just felt off. But having only driven modern cars in not sure if this is just how it should be. So below I've bullet pointed the things that felt a bit off. 

- the accelerator had a fair amount of play in it before it actually did anything to increase revs. 

- the break was "squishy" and did not slow the car very quickly at all! 

- the clutch was really soft then before it actually bit it hot really stiff to push down. 

- the steering was really heavy felt like there was no power steering. 

Is any of this normal or would this be one to avoid? 

I'm fairly certain that no 1999 defenders were fitted with 200Tdi engines, so I assume it's a typo for 1991, but that is an aside  This appears to me to be an example of a poorly maintained vehicle, so let's look at your identified problems.

Accelerator: this should have minimal play before it increase engine revs.  Probably due to poor adjustment of the throttle cable.  The 200Tdi is not a fly-by-wire engine!

Brakes: Standard Defender brakes are excellent when adjusted correctly, even the rear drum versions.  If they are "squishy" it suggests that they need to be properly bled and adjusted, and the master cylinder may need attention.  Also, the brake servo/vacuum system may need overhaul.

Clutch:  Again, it appears that this is not correctly adjusted.  Also, a full overhaul of the clutch operating system - pedal adjustment, master cylinder, slave cylinder - may be needed.

Power steering:  Defender power steering makes it a relatively  light operation.  If it seems that there is no power steering, perhaps there is none!  Have you checked the steering fluid level in the reservoir and the belt that drives the power steering pump?  At the right fluid level, and with no fluid leaks, there should be significant power assistance.  If everything looks good, then the bad news is that you may need either a new pump or a new steering box.

The above items are mostly easily fixed and should not put you off owning, and enjoying owning, a Defender.

Having said my bit, somebody who knows what they are talking about will be along soon to really put you (and me) right.

Mike

If the chassis, bulkhead and bodywork are good, it might not be the worst one to buy. However, if it is mechanically neglected, then the rest is often bad as well.

Nightmare scenario is bodges hiding the actual condition, like high viscosity oil in the engine and gearboxes to hide leaks and wear, thick underseal over bean tin patches and careful painting over filler and newspaper filled panels.

Thanks for your response Jeremy. I think part of it is due to me being so used to more modern cars. 

I've had a response from the dealer saying they will look into the bits I raised on the test drive. The rest of the car looks in good nick and seems pretty solid. 

Looks like I'll have to wait for this second bloody lockdown to be over before I can do anything though! 

The steering won’t be a precise as a road car, and the brakes will feel a bit heavier on the pedal, but if the steering is heavy, notchy or has play, or if the brakes or clutch have dead bands and are anything less than sharp and positive, it is faulty.  The reputation Land Rovers have for vague steering and poor braking is ENTIRELY due to neglect and laziness of the owners bad mouthing them.

All things you state are poor maintenance and can be corrected. What I always find amazing is that cars in the UK are supposed to have regular safety inspections....

Unless it is a great deal and you can do the work yourself, run away.  Find one that is in good condition and inspected by a 3rd party that knows Defenders.  Steering should be light and tight.  Brakes should be firm and stop the vehicle with normal effort.  Clutch should be firm and heavier than a normal car. Accelerator should have linear power with travel (different than most modern vehicles where the power is non-linear).

36 minutes ago, Red90 said:

cars in the UK are supposed to have regular safety inspections

They do, annually, for cars over 3 years old, and under 40.

It is just that though, safety, stiff steering, or rattly engine and no-one cares until it stops them driving it.

Worth pointing out that it is mostly a static test and if something meets the criteria on the day, there is nothing to say that it won't go wrong as soon as you drive away from the test center. I still think it is a good thing though catching people driving round who don't even give the slightest glance to their tyres and brakes.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bowie69 said:

They do, annually, for cars over 3 years old, and under 40.

It is just that though, safety, stiff steering, or rattly engine and no-one cares until it stops them driving it.

So brakes that don't work and steering that is broken are okay and somehow not considered safety issue?  Jesus, what a joke of a system. Are the mechanics licensed?

I think you may be launching off the deep end a bit there.

You can find the inspection manual online with a quick Google, it is detailed and quite thorough. If a vehicle meets passes the tests, it passes.

• Like 1

Brake & steering faults get picked up, all the MOT testers in UK are approved by the DVSA & their test stations are audited, as to a brake fault my 110 failed this afternoon on a leaking left rear caliper that I wasn't aware of, so a seperate set of eyes even once a year is good.  Caliper has been repaired with new seals & pistons, Got to bok a retest tomorrow. 

• Like 1

If you say so.  I've seen a dozen imported Defenders from the UK with recent MOTs that were death traps.  All failed in seconds when taken for the local inspections. A friend had one where you could stick you arm into the chassis and it had a month old MOT. It needed a new chassis to be able to register it.

The original post on this thread shows how bad the system must be.

It doesn't matter if I say so, go and read the inspection manual if you want to convince yourself either way.

Inspectors are qualified, and have to retrain in a continuous process.

Might I suggest a handful of imported defenders may not be representative, and I'll refer you to my previous comment about deep ends.

1 hour ago, Bowie69 said:

Yep, wasn't trying to say it was pointless, more that people still have a responsibility to maintain their car.

Indeed. I didn't interpret your post as saying its pointless.

Unfortunately some motorists don't take responsibility for the safety and maintenance of their car, the same people who are surprised when suddenly it breaks down on the side of the road for an entirely preventable reason if they had carried out some very basic checks. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Red90 said:

If you say so.  I've seen a dozen imported Defenders from the UK with recent MOTs that were death traps.  All failed in seconds when taken for the local inspections. A friend had one where you could stick you arm into the chassis and it had a month old MOT. It needed a new chassis to be able to register it.

The original post on this thread shows how bad the system must be.

Like any system, it isn't perfect. There are always dodgy places who will issue a certificate when they shouldn't but this is an illegal practice just the same as some used car dealerships who lie about the milage/condition of the car. It shouldn't happen and it is illegal but you will find such places if you look for them. 

That said, if you take a vehicle in the UK to have an MOT and at the point of inspection it is found to be unsafe in terms of brakes, steering, suspension, lights, tyres etc then it will fail. You can't get insurance and you can't tax it without a valid MOT. I think on the whole it is a good system and as a UK driver, I wouldn't want the MOT abolished. I think we have safer roads because of it. It certainly is no joke. 

30 minutes ago, Bowie69 said:

Inspectors are qualified, and have to retrain in a continuous process.

Might I suggest a handful of imported defenders may not be representative, and I'll refer you to my previous comment about deep ends.

It is not a "handful of Defenders".  It is ALL of them.  100%.  I've never seen a good truck come out of the UK.  Other countries, they are usually fine.  The UK, they are horrible.  My question is to if this is so regulated, how does it appear to be so common that vehicles get certificates while being unsafe?  You can't act like it is a rare thing.

What's wrong with them? Is there a pattern or are they just in general bad condition? When were they last put through an MOT?

You can look up a vehicle's MOT history going back a few years on the DVLA website. (I don't know if this applies to exported cars).