Electric Radiator Fan.....Wiring Digram

Cro-Magnon

I'm pretty handy at most things but electrics isn't one of them. Can anyone help me out please with a simpletons diagram of how to wire up the following scenario....

I have a 'Kenlowe' two speed fan it has 3 wires, an earth and two 'Lives'. If you connect the earth and one live you get single speed ...connect both lives and you get double speed.

In the coolant hose I have an 'X-Eng' switch housing with a three pronged switch, one cuts in at 88 and the other at 98.

On the dash I have a 'Carling' double pole switch.

OK....so I can get the fan to work with the coolant sensor switch on a single speed...either prong.

What I'd like is for the fan to work with the sensor to obtain two speeds as and when the temperature of the coolant dictates...ie. single speed at 88 and double at 98.

Also for the switch in the dash to be able to manually switch / override the coolant sensor on the two speeds... ie. position 1 on switch single speed ....position 2 double speed.

Help on this subject would be gratefully accepted.

TTFN 

1 hour ago, Cro-Magnon said:

I'm pretty handy at most things but electrics isn't one of them. ... On the dash I have a 'Carling' double pole switch. ... Also for the switch in the dash to be able to manually switch / override the coolant sensor on the two speeds... ie. position 1 on switch single speed ....position 2 double speed.
Help on this subject would be gratefully accepted.

Checking for understanding.
A double pole switch is the term used for a switch that only has two positions, On or Off.  However it switches both the Live and Earth circuits, so it has 4 terminals.

You might mean you have a three position switch, On High, Off, On Low. If 'single pole' this may have three terminals, one to have the live feed 'in', one to feed out to the high speed, one to feed out to the low speed.
Electrically this is a manual version of the three terminal 'X-Eng' thermal switch, which justifies the question from Bowie69, Why?

Next is warning lights; do you want any?
Often people elect to have a light that illuminates when the fan is manually switched off, as Bowie69 suggests, when water crossing (streams or floods).

I don't know what lighting is included in your Carling switch, this may include a night time light, on with the sidelights, to show where the switch is in the dark. Such lighting may include an additional terminal.

Regards.

Thanks for the info everyone...

'Dave Sparks'...."You might mean you have a three position switch, On High, Off, On Low. If 'single pole' this may have three terminals, one to have the live feed 'in', one to feed out to the high speed, one to feed out to the low speed."

You are correct Dave...I told you I know the Square root of nowt as regards electrics. 

Yes there is a light in the carling switch, both for night illumination and for indicating operation.

'Bowie 69' .... Yes I'd thought about a manual off switch as well for the precise reason you state.

'Fridge Freezer' .... Thanks I now get the switching thing....I think.....but can someone out there help me out with a complete diagram as how to do this like i said....Electrics = Numpty.

TTFN.....in anticipation.

You probably want the "fan off" position to be a 12v "buzzer on" position so that you have an annoying sound to remind you that you have turned the fans off, otherwise it is likely that turn the fans off for wading and then forget to turn them back on and then your engine overheats.

23 minutes ago, zardos said:

I also seem to remember that the dual coolant sensor switches were a three position switch with the following outputs

1. Off
  2. output 1 on
  3. output 1 and 2 on

Correct, the lower value doesn't magically turn off when it goes over temp.

You could do it with relays,but honestly can't think of a single useful application of it!

To be quite honest, I think you are overthinking a d overcomplicating things, leave the switch to do its job, and have a dash switch to isolate it if you want.

15 minutes ago, Bowie69 said:

To be quite honest, I think you are over thinking and overcomplicating things, leave the switch to do its job, and have a dash switch to isolate it if you want.

Yes I think so as well, have a simple change over switch of "auto fan" or "fan off(buzzer on)"

Other wise you really need a quad throw switch (or a triple throw double pole or 2 switches)

IF you did really want an override then for the safety of your engine this should ONLY be a "double speed" override. Otherwise you could override to speed 1 and the engine temp hits 98C and needs the higher speed but you have manually limited it to the lower speed and the engine will overheat (This could be done with a triple throw switch)

Thanks every one didn't think of it that way, It'll simplify things if I 'loose' the dash switch and maybe have a cut out for the wading issue.

Next request ...can anyone do me a wiring diagram please for the fan to the coolant sensor switch.

TTFN 

On 1/21/2021 at 4:43 PM, Bowie69 said:

Why do you want to switch it manually at all?

I can see 2 reasons for wanting to switch the fan on manually.
First to have a backup should the thermostatic switch fail, secondly because sometimes you don't want to wait for the fan to come on automatically. With a 2-speed fan(s) the latter is less likely, with single speed it can be useful. I've add manual switches to my Lotus for both these reasons. A typical application is when driving to work and getting some traffic just before parking up. Depending on outside temperature and density of traffic the fans would either be on by the time I park up or just about to come on. By turning on the fans a few minutes before arriving, I can make sure I never have to turn off the car with a highish temperature (in an enclosed and warm garage, so prone to heatsoak). I'm sure it would be just fine on automatic, but it gives me piece of mind.

In an offroader I'd probably add an off position for wading. And in that case some warning/indication would definitely be useful to avoid forgetting to switch it back on.

Filip

6 hours ago, ThreePointFive said:

https://foundry4x4.co.uk/pdf/X Eng at Foundry 4x4 X-Fan 34 Instructions.pdf

I would not use the  "Two Fans, Low and High Temperature" as Fan override is only 1 fan (or slow speed in your case) as it is dangerous

Move the override wire to the High Fan wire on the Kenlowe (I seem to remember it was OK to just supply +12v to double fan speed input to get double speed on the Kenlowe)

image.png.ab236af21dc958fb3b6508e7d05f056a.png

I would also use a durite 0-789-62 or 0-789-10 0-789-12 0-789-13  or  Carling VED2160B-00000-000

Which would give you an extra "center on" output to have the green wires circuit given +12V so "Both Fans OFF" means have a 12v buzzer to remind you fans are off like https://www.12voltplanet.co.uk/mini-warning-buzzer-12v.html

Edited by zardos