1999 TD5 Defender new fuel pump time

Hey everyone I've gotta swap out my fuel pump due to starting issues are there any other parts that anyone would suggest renewing when doing the fuel pump? Havent decided whether or not to drop the tank or cut the floor and make a little hatch Cheers 👍

10 hours ago, hurbie said:

i would buy a good quality pump , drop the tank and fit it , and your done for the next 20 years ...

no need to cut up a good floor ...

Cheers hurbie I agree I like my floor as it is, I was going to get the vdo pump are there any seals or hoses etc you'd suggest changing while doing the job?

Only fit the VDO, don't bother with anything else. They usually come with a new tank seal which is the only thing you might replace.

If you're dropping the tank, be very careful with the clip in fuel pipes- they get a bit brittle with age, it's easier to break them dropping the tank and they are very expensive to replace. Probably worth labeling each pipe before removal so they go back in the same order. 

30 minutes ago, Eightpot said:

Only fit the VDO, don't bother with anything else. They usually come with a new tank seal which is the only thing you might replace.

If you're dropping the tank, be very careful with the clip in fuel pipes- they get a bit brittle with age, it's easier to break them dropping the tank and they are very expensive to replace. Probably worth labeling each pipe before removal so they go back in the same order. 

VDO it is then haha only heard good things about them over others. Alright yeah I saw a new set of fuel pipes was almost 300 bucks, will definitely label will save alot of hassle.

Cheers 👍

Having had the unpleasant experience of dropping a TD5 fuel tank i would opt for cutting a hole in the floor personally. If you've got a mat in the back you'll never even know there's a hatch there. It's also much easier to disconnect the fuel lines from up top and just lift the pump out.

Edited by paime

Having done this very job last year on my 110 TD5 I would suggest the following:

Drain the tank completely. As there's no drain plug, you'll have to pump or syphon the fuel out through the filler neck.

Carefully drop the tank. Do it in stages so that you can disconnect the fuel pipes at the earliest opportunity to avoid breaking the connectors when the tank is fully lowered.

The pipe connectors are colour coded, but it's a good idea to label them too.

Give the outside of the tank a good clean, especially around where the pump goes in before you remove it. 

Once the pump is out, give the inside of the tank a good clean. Get rid of any carp that's accumulated over the years.

And if I was you I'd also order new breather/overflow pipes for the filler side (larger bore breather/overflow) and the opposite side (small bore breather). Mine were both perished and it's much easier to do them whilst the tank is out.

Then just put it all back together 😁

Edited by Filbee