Front brake hoses - direct to caliper

Has anybody got any long-term feedback on converting the front brake flexible hoses to run direct from the chassis to the caliper rather than with the short fixed pipe on the swivel?

I’d be interested to hear if there are any issues with the setup. If anyone has any pictures too that would be extra helpful!

I have wondered about this but the first drawback is that the hose connects to the bottom of the caliper (early only?) and points downwards to the track rod ball joint thus a restricted amount of room and vulnerable to damage?

I had one of Pioneer 4x4’s trial setups last year, all stainless braided hoses but still two pieces. Has been excellent with no issues. Worth it to ditch the hardline to the caliper.

5232F075-7E20-42C4-905B-38F0BA9D976A.jpeg.037ee4a934caecbc48e2debbd1f39524.jpeg

Edited by oneandtwo
  • Like 1

Nothing per se, it’s just a potentially more elegant solution to do away with it which removes a joint and simplifies removal of the caliper and/or upper swivel pin slightly. The sealing of the banjo bolt washers to the caliper face is something that concerns me slightly as normally of course the hard pipe flare would seal within the port in the normal way, however I’ve not heard of this being an issue in reality.

Clearance to the spring etc. is key hence the banjo mentioned, and getting the length right so there is enough to avoid damage on extremes of suspension movement but no extra to get caught up in stuff.

• Like 2

Not had any problems with mine James and I think Jon or I converted his 90 years ago with no issues either. Just in the process of changing my rear hoses to the same setup at the moment, although they will be cable tied tight to the axle when I’ve finished! All mine were from Llama4x4. I think they also do super long ones which can run down the radius arm rather than flap about like mine do.

17D6E7F4-7624-4DDB-AF46-C905784094FA.jpeg

92EE8A40-02DE-4807-B89C-BCFF3BC3D145.jpeg

0018DB5C-365A-412C-B4C4-A36DF0C1A252.jpeg

• Like 1